Composition of planets vs. moons

In summary, the ratio of gas planets to terrestrial planets is 1:1, while the ratio of gas moons to terrestrial moons is approximately 165:3. However, there is no clear correlation between the two ratios. Additionally, it appears that all solar system moons are believed to be rocky, with some having thin oceans above their surfaces.
Loren Booda
In our Solar System, how does the ratio of gas planets to terrestrial planets compare with that of gas moons to terrestrial moons?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi Loren Booda! :smile:

Surely there are no "gas moons"? :confused:

Well gas planets to terrestrial planets is obviously 1:1 and gas moons (i.e moons around gas planets, tim) to terrestrial moons is like 165:3.

There appears to be no correlation at all. Oh well.

Kracatoan said:
Well gas planets to terrestrial planets is obviously 1:1 and gas moons (i.e moons around gas planets, tim) to terrestrial moons is like 165:3.

There appears to be no correlation at all. Oh well.

Sorry. Are there no liquid moons? That is basically what I meant by "gas moons."

I believe all solar system moons are believed to be rocky.

That includes a few that have thin oceans above the rocky surface.

God bless us, every one!

What is the difference between a planet and a moon?

A planet is a large celestial body that orbits around a star, while a moon is a natural satellite that orbits around a planet.

What is the composition of planets?

The composition of planets varies, but generally they are made up of rocky or gaseous materials. Some planets, such as Earth, have a solid surface made of rock and metal, while others like Jupiter and Saturn are primarily composed of gas and have no solid surface.

What is the composition of moons?

Moons are typically made up of rock and ice, with some also containing a small amount of gas. The composition of moons can vary greatly depending on the type of moon and the planet it orbits.

How do the compositions of planets and moons affect their characteristics?

The composition of planets and moons can greatly affect their characteristics, such as size, density, and surface features. For example, a planet with a dense composition will likely have a stronger gravitational pull and a larger size compared to a moon with a less dense composition.

Are there any similarities between the composition of planets and moons?

Yes, there are some similarities between the composition of planets and moons. Both can have rocky or gaseous compositions, and some moons may have similar compositions to their parent planet. However, the overall compositions of planets and moons can vary greatly.