Can I Calculate a Power Triangle with Given Voltage and Current?

In summary, the conversation explores the possibility of determining the sides of a power triangle by applying a voltage and measuring the resultant current. The individual has attempted to find the True Power and volt-amps reactive, but is unsure if this is the correct approach. They are seeking help and clarification on the topic.
AngusBurger
This is an enquiry into whether something is possible, so the numbers might be rubbish to work with.

If I apply a voltage of v=25sin(wt+0.2rads) to a circuit, with a resultant current of i=15sin(wt-0.5rads), can I work out all three sides of a power triangle? I've been working on it for about an hour but with no such luck.

This is what I have done so far:

VRMS*IRMS = 25*15 = 375 Volt-Amps

So long as that is correct, my guess would be that I have to find the True Power, perhaps using the formula P=VIcosϕ, and then I can use Pythagorus theorem to find the volt-amps reactive (var), which would be with the formula var2=VA2-W2. If that's not right, I assume I would have to work backwards in order to calculate an impedance?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I think that it is possible using only a source voltage and resultant current, but am obviously to new to the subject to properly hack it out.

Attachments

• Power Triangle.jpg
    Power Triangle.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 619
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi AngusBurger! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)

The instantaneous power is P(t) = V(t)I(t).

If you multiply it out, and use a bit of trig, you find that P(t) = VrmsIrms(cosφ + cos2ωt). :wink:

(So the average power is Pav = VrmsIrmscosφ.)

You don't need to find the impedance for this.

1. What is Power Factor/Power Triangle?

Power Factor/Power Triangle is a measurement of how efficiently electrical power is being used in a circuit. It is represented by a triangle with three sides: apparent power, real power, and reactive power.

2. Why is Power Factor/Power Triangle important?

Power Factor/Power Triangle is important because it helps us understand the efficiency of a circuit. A lower power factor means that there is wasted energy in the circuit, leading to higher energy costs and potential equipment damage.

3. How is Power Factor/Power Triangle calculated?

Power Factor/Power Triangle is calculated by taking the cosine of the angle between the real power and the apparent power. The resulting value is between 0 and 1, with 1 being the most efficient power factor.

4. What causes a low Power Factor/Power Triangle?

A low Power Factor/Power Triangle can be caused by reactive components in a circuit, such as inductors and capacitors, that do not contribute to real power. It can also be caused by unbalanced loads and poor power management.

5. How can Power Factor/Power Triangle be improved?

Power Factor/Power Triangle can be improved by adding power factor correction equipment, such as capacitors, to the circuit. This helps to reduce reactive power and improve overall efficiency. Properly maintaining and balancing loads can also improve power factor.