Software to plot high quality figures

In summary, the conversation discussed various software options for creating high quality schematic figures, both in 2D and 3D, suitable for publication. The mentioned options include Gnuplot, TikZ, CorelDraw, Inkscape, Illustrator, Blender, Cinema4D, 3dsmax, Origin, SciDavis, SigmaPlot, Ensight, Paraview, and Gimp. The conversation also mentioned that some of these software options are free, while others are expensive.
stone
What are the softwares that people usually use to create high quality schematic figures (both in 2D and 3D) suitable for publication?
For example Fig 1) in http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.1787

Physics news on Phys.org
I use gnuplot to produce .eps figures. It's chief benefit is that it is free.

Thanks for the reply. I have used it to plot data in both 2D and 3D. But can we draw schematic 3D figures using it, like in the reference quoted in my previous post?

any more help would be greatly appreciated!

You could as well use: TikZ
- Examples: http://www.texample.net/tikz/examples/tag/3d/
However that is not a drawing program :).

If drawing is more your interest:
2D-Vectordrawing: CorelDraw, Inkscape, Illustrator ( I am pretty sure you could draw the simple 3d-picture of the paper you linked to in any of those as well )
3D-Modelling: Blender, Cinema4D, 3dsmax ...

For graphs there are specialized tools aswell: Origin, SciDavis, Gnuplot

thanks a lot!
that was exactly what I was looking for

So which of the programs mentioned do you use now?

We've used SigmaPlot, particularly for 3D surface plots, but it seems to be rather limited.

I'd like to be able to look through the surfaces.

We've also used Gnuplot, but it has limitations.

There's also Ensight - http://www.ensight.com/ - but it's expensive, and Paraview - http://www.paraview.org/.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have started looking at coreldraw and illustrator.
By the way, some of the 'pseudo' 3d drawing can also be done with gimp, which is free.

Inkscape is free too and does the same as coreldraw and illustrator

inkscape looks really good too!

1. What is "Software to plot high quality figures" used for?

"Software to plot high quality figures" is used to create visually appealing and accurate graphs, charts, and other types of figures for scientific or technical purposes. It allows scientists to present their data in a clear and organized manner, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results.

2. What features should I look for in software for plotting high quality figures?

Some important features to consider when choosing software for plotting high quality figures include a wide range of graph types, customization options, label and annotation capabilities, and the ability to import data from various file formats. It is also helpful to choose software that is user-friendly and has a reliable technical support team.

3. Is there a specific software that is considered the best for plotting high quality figures?

There are various software options available for plotting high quality figures, and the best one for you may depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include GraphPad Prism, OriginPro, and MATLAB. It is recommended to try out different software and choose the one that best suits your requirements.

4. Can I use free software for plotting high quality figures?

Yes, there are free software options available for plotting high quality figures, such as GNU Plot, SciDAVis, and Veusz. However, these may have limited features compared to paid software and may require a learning curve to use effectively. It is important to carefully evaluate the features and capabilities of free software before using it for your scientific figures.

5. Is it necessary to have technical skills to use software for plotting high quality figures?

While some software may require a basic understanding of coding or data analysis, many options have user-friendly interfaces that do not require extensive technical skills. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of graphing and data visualization principles to effectively use any software for plotting high quality figures.