Exponential Power Series Expansion

In summary, the original expression of e^x e^x can be simplified using a power series expansion and a substitution of indices to reduce it to the desired expression of e^{2x}. This is done by recognizing the double sum as a binomial expansion and using the property that (x+x)^n = 2^n x^n.
Lucid Dreamer
I want to show that [itex] e^x e^x = e^{2x} [/itex] using a power series expansion. So I start with

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} \frac{x^m}{m!} [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{x^{m+n}}{m!n!} [/tex]

I am at a loss of where to go from here. I want to reduce the last expression down to [itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(2x)^n}{n!} [/itex] but I am not sure of how to get rid of one of the summations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it...in case anyone was interested.

I can use a substitution on the indicies of the double series as follows. Let [itex] m=q [/itex] and [itex] n=p-q [/itex], with the condition that [itex] q \le p [/itex]. This gives

[tex] \sum_{p=0}^\infty \sum_{q=0}^p \frac{x^q}{q!}\frac{x^{p-q}}{(p-q)!} [/tex]
Which one recognizes as a binomial expansion. Where [itex] \frac{(x+x)^n}{n!} = \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!(n-k)!} x^k x^{n-k} [/itex]. Thus our double series reduces down to

[tex] \sum_{p=0}^\infty \frac{(x+x)^p}{p!} = e^{2x} [/tex]

1. What is an exponential power series expansion?

An exponential power series expansion is a mathematical representation of an exponential function using a sum of terms with increasing powers of a variable.

2. How is an exponential power series expansion different from a regular power series expansion?

An exponential power series expansion involves an exponential function, while a regular power series expansion does not. In an exponential power series, the variable is in the exponent, whereas in a regular power series, the variable is in the base.

3. What is the general form of an exponential power series expansion?

The general form of an exponential power series expansion is: ∑ (an * xn), where an are the coefficients and x is the variable.

4. How do you find the coefficients in an exponential power series expansion?

The coefficients in an exponential power series expansion can be found using the formula an = f(n)(0) / n!, where f(n)(0) represents the nth derivative of the exponential function evaluated at 0.

5. What is the purpose of using an exponential power series expansion?

An exponential power series expansion can be used to approximate values of the exponential function, as well as to represent and manipulate complex mathematical expressions involving exponential functions.