Printing on UNIX Sys V: Finding Printer Names

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unix
In summary, when using AT&T Unix System V, printing is done through the 'LPD' daemon and printer configurations are stored in /etc/printers.conf. To access the names of printers connected to a particular server, use the command "lpstat -v" and refer to the manual for more options.
tandoorichicken
Is there a way to look up the names of printers hooked up to a particular server? I'm trying to print some of my old homework assignments that I accessed using SSH. The OS is UNIX Sys. V.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, since you're using AT&T Unix System V, printing is done via the 'LPD' daemon. The standard nowadays is to store printer configuration(s) in /etc/printers.conf. I can't say much for the standard then, but give it a try.

Edit: I take it you're using AT&T Unix System V, but you mentionted SSH. Can you specify the exact Unix you're using?

Last edited:
you can just do:

lpstat -v

This will show all the printers and what devices they are attached to.

I would read the manual for lpstat since there are a bunch of options

1. What is UNIX Sys V?

UNIX Sys V, or System V, is a version of the UNIX operating system that was released in 1983. It was one of the first commercially successful versions of UNIX and was widely used in the 1980s and 1990s.

2. How do I find printer names on UNIX Sys V?

To find printer names on UNIX Sys V, you can use the lpstat -a command. This will list all available printers on the system.

3. Can I print to a specific printer on UNIX Sys V?

Yes, you can print to a specific printer on UNIX Sys V by using the lpr -P command. This will send the specified file to the specified printer.

4. How do I add a new printer on UNIX Sys V?

To add a new printer on UNIX Sys V, you can use the lpadmin command. This will allow you to configure the new printer and add it to the list of available printers on the system.

5. Can I print to a network printer on UNIX Sys V?

Yes, you can print to a network printer on UNIX Sys V by using the lpr -S -P command. This will send the specified file to the specified printer on the specified server.