Series-Parallel-Series Circuits

• Thread starter Monkey69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking help with understanding and solving a circuit problem for their Electronic Engineering Diploma. They mention struggling with circuits and their equations, and request advice on the necessary mathematics to solve the problem. The specific circuit in question involves a DC battery and multiple resistors, with ammeters positioned throughout. The suggested approach is to use Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Current Law to simplify and solve the circuit.
Monkey69
Hi Everyone. This is my first post on here. I'm currently doing an Electronic Engineering Diploma, but am struggling with just one thing (so far). Circuits and their equations. Everyone in that class are struggling, and I feel it may have something to do with the lecturers technique.

Anyway, as part of our first assignment, we need to work out expected currents in ammeters, and potential differences across resistors. I can't attach a drawing for this, but will attempt to explain.

I won't use the figures I have, as I'd like advice on the equations and mathematics that I need so that I can walk through it with my figures after.

We have a DC battery (12V) going to R1 (100 Ohms). This then goes to three parallel resistors, R2-R4 (120 Ohms, 90 Ohms and 160 Ohms respectively). These then all lead to R5 (210 Ohms).

The Ammeters are positioned at R1, R2, R3, and R4.

There's another one that's a bit more complicated, but hopefully with some easy to understand advice on this one, I should be able to figure that one out.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, and anyone who is able to explain this to me will forever go down as an absolute legend.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monkey69 said:
Hi Everyone. This is my first post on here. I'm currently doing an Electronic Engineering Diploma, but am struggling with just one thing (so far). Circuits and their equations. Everyone in that class are struggling, and I feel it may have something to do with the lecturers technique.

Anyway, as part of our first assignment, we need to work out expected currents in ammeters, and potential differences across resistors. I can't attach a drawing for this, but will attempt to explain.

I won't use the figures I have, as I'd like advice on the equations and mathematics that I need so that I can walk through it with my figures after.

We have a DC battery (12V) going to R1 (100 Ohms). This then goes to three parallel resistors, R2-R4 (120 Ohms, 90 Ohms and 160 Ohms respectively). These then all lead to R5 (210 Ohms).

The Ammeters are positioned at R1, R2, R3, and R4.

There's another one that's a bit more complicated, but hopefully with some easy to understand advice on this one, I should be able to figure that one out.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, and anyone who is able to explain this to me will forever go down as an absolute legend.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the PF.

For really simple questions, you can just use Ohm's Law, V=IR to figure out voltages and currents.

And in some simpler resistor network questions, you can do series and parallel combination of resistors to simplify the network and help you solve it with just V=IR again.

For more complicated circuits, you would usually use Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) equations written for all of the nodes in the circuit, and then you just solve the simultaneous equations to get the currents and voltages in the circuit.

So can you use this information to show us your circuit and show us how you are going to approach solving it?

Monkey69 said:
three parallel resistors, R2-R4 (120 Ohms, 90 Ohms and 160 Ohms respectively).
Three resistors in parallel? I wonder how many ohms that would be equivalent to ...

1. What is a series-parallel-series circuit?

A series-parallel-series circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel connections of components. This means that some components are connected in a series, while others are connected in parallel, creating multiple paths for the flow of current.

2. How does a series-parallel-series circuit differ from a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single path, while in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple paths. A series-parallel-series circuit combines both of these connections, creating a more complex circuit with multiple paths for current flow.

3. What are the advantages of using a series-parallel-series circuit?

A series-parallel-series circuit allows for a more efficient use of power, as well as a more precise control of current and voltage. It also allows for a greater variety of components to be used in a single circuit, making it more versatile for different applications.

4. What are the potential disadvantages of a series-parallel-series circuit?

One potential disadvantage of a series-parallel-series circuit is that it can be more complex and difficult to troubleshoot compared to a simple series or parallel circuit. Additionally, the various paths of current flow can make it more susceptible to voltage drops and overall fluctuations in the circuit.

5. How are calculations different for a series-parallel-series circuit?

Calculating the total resistance, current, and voltage in a series-parallel-series circuit involves using a combination of series and parallel circuit formulas. This can be more challenging and time-consuming compared to calculating for a simple series or parallel circuit. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and use the correct formulas for each section of the circuit to get accurate results.