Transferring Data to New Computer - BrainguyΩ

• Thread starter Brainguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of files from an old computer to a new one, including photos, videos, and emails. The speaker has a 32 gig USB 2.0 external HDD and is looking for the best way to transfer the files. They also mention using the export function in Microsoft outlook to retrieve old emails and suggest plugging in the old hard drive into the new computer for data transfer. The conversation concludes with a potential plan to repurpose the old computer for the speaker's own use.
Brainguy
So I just built my parents a new computer with a quad core AMD Athlon processor, 4 gigs of RAM, a 1 TB HDD, and windows 7. Now my mom wants all her old photos and videos, and even her old emails from Comcast that she has stored in Microsoft outlook, on her new computer. I don't know where to start. I have a 32 gig USB 2.0 external HDD, that has 2 USB cords coming out of it for file sharing, and I want to know 2 things: What is the best way to transfer the files? and how can I get my moms old emails out of outlook and into a folder?

Thanks!
~BrainguyΩ

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's are export functions for messages, accounts, and addresses. Hopefully the format of the exported files will be able to be imported in the new computer.

ok, thanks at least that solves one problem. I'll probably end up just doing it the obvious way, although I'm sure I'll encounter a problem, or maybe my parents computer would be inaccessible for days with the transfer going...
If anyone knows of a better solution please try and help me, because this computer is at almost 100% full capacity, and is so... slow...

Can you plug the old HD into the new system long enough for data transfer?

I just imported all my wife's files in Windows Live Mail. "Simply" use the Import function and point it at
\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Identities\

It may be in a different location - it's pretty convoluted - ultimately you are looking for a filename with a giant hex number between paretheses like this: {F12CEE45-B3BC-4388-3742-88D491B5BAE4} or some such.

DaveC426913 said:
I just imported all my wife's files in Windows Live Mail. "Simply" use the Import function and point it at
\Users\Mom\AppData\Local\Identities\

It may be in a different location - it's pretty convoluted - ultimately you are looking for a filename with a giant hex number between paretheses like this: {F12CEE45-B3BC-4388-3742-88D491B5BAE4} or some such.
You can avoid this by using outlooks tools / options / maintenance / store folder, which allows you to move those files to a different folder that you can create, such as \users\mom\outlook\... which won't have that awkward name.

Thanks, I think I have the email problem solved now, and I'll unplug the old HDD and put it in my parents new computer, I might even leave it there, giving my parents another 50 gigs of storage, and then I can get a new HDD and an SSD HDD for my parents old computer, which will become mine. >:) devious plot

1. How do I transfer my data from my old computer to my new computer?

To transfer data from your old computer to your new computer, you can use an external hard drive, USB drive, or cloud storage service. Simply copy and paste the files you want to transfer onto the external device, and then connect the device to your new computer and copy the files onto it.

2. What is the best way to ensure all my data is transferred successfully?

The best way to ensure all your data is transferred successfully is to create a backup of your old computer before transferring the data. This way, if any files are missing or corrupted during the transfer, you can still access them from the backup.

3. How long does it usually take to transfer data to a new computer?

The time it takes to transfer data to a new computer can vary depending on the amount of data being transferred and the speed of the devices being used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

4. Can I transfer programs and applications to my new computer?

In most cases, programs and applications cannot be transferred from one computer to another. They will need to be reinstalled on the new computer using the original installation files or by downloading them again.

5. Is it possible to transfer data from a Mac to a PC?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data from a Mac to a PC. You can use an external hard drive or cloud storage to transfer the data, or you can use special software designed for data transfers between different operating systems.