Proving the Locus of a Moving Point is an Ellipse: Coordinate Geometry Problem

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in coordinate geometry involving an ellipse. The point moves in such a way that the sum of the squares of its distances from two intersecting straight lines is constant. The locus of this point is proven to be an ellipse and the eccentricity is found in terms of the angle between the lines. The conversation also discusses different methods to solve the problem, including rotating the coordinate axes and applying the theory of conics. However, it is concluded that there is no other method to extract the eccentricity without reducing the equation to a standard form via rotation.
maverick280857
Hello...

Here is a problem in coordinate geometry, in particular about the ellipse.

A point moves such that the sum of the squares of its distances from two intersecting straight lines is constant. Prove that its locus is an ellipse and find the eccentricity in terms of the angle between the straight lines.

My solution:

Without loss of generality we may assume the two straight lines to be [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = mx[/itex] where [itex]m = \tan\phi[/itex] ([itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the lines). Their point of intersection is thus the origin O(0,0).

Let the point whose locus is to be found be [itex]P(\alpha,\beta)[/itex]. The constraint on P is then,

[tex]\beta^2 + \frac{(m\alpha - \beta)^2}{m^2+1} = k^2 [/tex]

where k is some constant ([itex]k\epsilonR[/itex])

This after some rearranging and replacing [itex](\alpha,\beta)[/itex] with with general coordinates [itex](x,y)[/itex] yields
[itex]m^2x^2 - 2mxy + y^2(m^2+2) - k^2(1+m^2) = 0[/itex]
which when compared with the general second degree equation,
[itex]Ax^2 + 2Hxy + By^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c = 0 [/itex]
does turn out to be an ellipse.

However it is not in the standard form, so finding its eccentricity is not as easy. Now I understand that by rotating the coordinate axes we can bring the equation into such a form by a suitable choice of the rotation angle which causes the cross term (H) to disappear. However, I want to know if there is some other way out to find the eccentricity (or more generally to do this problem).

I would be grateful if someone could offer some ideas.

Thanks and cheers
Vivek

Mathematics news on Phys.org
After posting this, I realized this probably isn't the right place for this post. For the moderator(s): if you think, could you please shift it to the right place. Sorry for the inconvenience...

Someone please help!

What's wrong with writing it in standard form?? :confused:

I don't see any other way to extract the excentricity,other than knowing the semiaxes...You can do that simply applying the theory of conics and the set of linear transformations which bring the conic to a known form,in this case an ellipse.

Daniel.

Okay thanks for your replies. Suppose that I live in a very weird world and I'm supposed to show that I can do this "smartly" but not in a lengthy way. How would I do it? :biggrin:

I know I can rotate the axes and do what I've said I can in the first post to get it in the standard form. But I was wondering if there's some other way out. Anyway thanks...

Cheers
vivek

How about if i told you that the equation:
[tex] m^{2}x^{2}-2mxy+y^{2}(m^{2}+2)-k^{2}(m^{2}+1) [/tex](1)

is the EQUATION OF A CIRCLE...

The equation (1) can be written:
[tex](mx-y)^{2}+[y\sqrt{m^{2}+1}]^{2} =[k\sqrt{m^{2}+1}]^{2} [/tex] (2)

and making the rotation & the notation:
[tex] x'=:mx-y [/tex] (3)
[tex] y'=y\sqrt{m^{2}+1} [/tex] (4)
[tex] R=:k\sqrt{m^{2}+1} [/tex] (5)

is exactly the equation of a circle:
[tex] x'^{2}+y'^{2}=R^{2} [/tex] (6)

If this outcome is not correct,then it's your fault for providing an incorrect quadratic form... :wink:

Daniel.

I do not know what you are trying to imply. The question and my working are before you. Do you believe the question is wrong?

Last edited:
I don't know that.I've just shown you that the equation u came up with when substituting alpha & beta wiht x & y is the equation of a circle,and not of an ellipse.

Daniel.

maverick280857 said:
Without loss of generality we may assume the two straight lines to be [itex]y = 0[/itex] and [itex]y = mx[/itex] where [itex]m = \tan\phi[/itex] ([itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the lines).
You could try assuming [itex]y = mx[/itex] and [itex]y = -mx[/itex] where [itex]m = \tan\phi/2[/itex]

dextercioby said:
[tex] x'=:mx-y [/tex] (3)
[tex] y'=y\sqrt{m^{2}+1} [/tex] (4)
This is squashing the coordinates, and so will transform a circle into an ellipse

chronon said:
You could try assuming [itex]y = mx[/itex] and [itex]y = -mx[/itex] where [itex]m = \tan\phi/2[/itex]

This is squashing the coordinates, and so will transform a circle into an ellipse

Ups,you made me realize that what i had was not a genuine rotation and indeed i squashed "y" and so the initial ellipse became a circle... :frown:
Sorry.

I would have to stick to the initial advice,namely applying the theory of conics...

Daniel.

chronon said:

Yes but the problem is to extract the eccentricity from the equation without reducing it to a standard form via rotation. However, as the problem stands now, I do not think there is any other method than to do it the brute force way. Thanks for your help though.

Cheers
vivek

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as a closed curve that is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone.

2. How is an ellipse different from a circle?

An ellipse differs from a circle in that it has two focal points instead of just one. The distance between these two focal points is the major axis of the ellipse, while the distance between any point on the ellipse and its center is the minor axis.

3. What is the equation for an ellipse?

The general equation for an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the coordinates of the center, and a and b represent the lengths of the major and minor axes, respectively.

4. How do you graph an ellipse?

To graph an ellipse, plot the center point and then use the major and minor axes to determine the length of the ellipse. Draw the curve accordingly, making sure it passes through the two focal points.

5. What are some real-life examples of an ellipse?

Some real-life examples of an ellipse include the shape of planets' orbits around the sun, the shape of the moon's orbit around the Earth, and the shape of an egg or an oval-shaped pool.