Language and Programming Language Aero- Engineering

In summary, the individual is currently studying Aeronautical Engineering and has decided to use their free time in the coming summer to learn a new language and programming language. They were initially considering German, but a friend suggested French for its usefulness in the field of engineering. They are open to other language and programming language suggestions. They mention living in Turkey, but may spend the summer in Germany. They have already purchased books and videos for learning C++ and Java, but are also considering other languages. Another individual suggests French for its usefulness in using CATIA, a CAD system commonly used in the aerospace industry. They also recommend learning C++ or Java instead of Ada.
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello everyone. I'm now currently studying Aeronautical Engineering(Though it's, I think, said to be equal to aerospace engineering). Since the summer is coming and I'll have like free 4 months, I've decided to learn another language(s) besides English and Fortran(Both the language we speak and programming language).

At first, I was considering learning German, but then a friend of mine told me that French would be much of help in Aero-ish engineerings.

As for programming language; I do only know Fortran and am considering learning C++, JAVA, MATLAB and if I could somehow find a proper source, ADA.

http://www.faa.itu.edu.tr/Icerik.aspx?sid=4646 ( This the undergraduate program I'm learning).

Would you mind helping me out with these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you live in Europe? Then I would definitely consider learning French. German is also important, but most Germans speak English fluently. Will you spend those 4 months in France or Germany? It's difficult to practice if you're not surrounded by native speakers.

Programming: MATLAB and C or C++ might come in handy.

Hi bigfooted. Thanks for your reply. If you consider Turkey a European country then I do live in Europe. I'm not sure if I can go to France and live there ~4 months. I can live in Germany as my aunt and cousins live there. So I don't think it will be such a huge deal for me to live in Germany for 3-4 months.

As for programming: I have already bought a few books for C++ and JAVA.( Alas, not C yet) and a couple of "video lectures". I'll be sure learning them in the summer.

I'm also open to any language/programming language suggestion.

Thanks again!

If you're planning to learn a language anyway, French might be helpful in using CATIA, a CAD system developed by Dassault Systemes. A few people I know who work for Boeing talk about this software, and I would imagine it is used by Airbus as well.

For programming language, I would not recommend Ada. That language was required in (US) Dept of Defense contracts some years ago, but I don't believe that it still is. To the best of my knowledge, it's not used much anymore, but I could be wrong on this.

I would recommend C++ or Java. C++ is sort of a superset of C, and has to some extent surpassed pure C. Many of the available compilers will work with both C and C++.

Thank you Mark44. Yes, I'm really planning to learn a new language. It's nice to hear that French would come in handy for CATIA, as I'm learning CATIA v5.(Doubt I'll ever use it though :P)

It seems like both you and bigfooted suggested me learn C++, which means I'll try learning C++. I'm glad I bought the correct books!

Once again, thanks to both of you for answering and englightining me. Summer is comming!

1. What is the difference between natural language and programming language in the field of aero-engineering?

Natural language refers to the communication used by humans, such as English or Mandarin, while programming language is a set of instructions used to communicate with computers. In the field of aero-engineering, natural language is used for general communication and documentation, while programming language is used to write code for controlling and analyzing aircraft systems.

2. Why is it important for aero-engineers to have knowledge of programming languages?

Programming languages allow aero-engineers to write code for controlling and analyzing aircraft systems. This is crucial for designing, testing, and maintaining safe and efficient aircraft operations. Additionally, programming languages can help with data analysis and visualization, which are essential for understanding and improving aero-engineering systems.

3. Which programming languages are commonly used in the field of aero-engineering?

The most commonly used programming languages in aero-engineering are MATLAB, Python, and C/C++. MATLAB is often used for data analysis and simulation, while Python and C/C++ are used for coding control systems and developing software for aero-engineering applications.

4. Can aero-engineers with no programming background learn programming languages?

Yes, aero-engineers with no programming background can learn programming languages. Many universities and online resources offer courses specifically designed for aero-engineers to learn programming languages. With dedication and practice, aero-engineers can develop the necessary skills to write code for aero-engineering applications.

5. How do programming languages play a role in the future of aero-engineering?

Programming languages will continue to play a significant role in the future of aero-engineering. As technology advances, the use of programming languages in aero-engineering will increase, particularly in areas such as data analysis, artificial intelligence, and automation. Aero-engineers with programming skills will be in high demand as the industry continues to evolve and innovate.