How Does Dissolved Air Affect the Compressibility of Water?

• Thread starter chaney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary: I mean is how do oxygen molecular and water molecular arrange in the micro level? Is there any device available for us to observe the arrangement of the two kinds of moleculars? Any publications described the compressibility of the water with dissolved gas or air? Thanks a lot!
chaney
Air can be dissolved in water. I read some information that the dissolved air exists in the form of molecule, for example, oxygen can be dissolved in the water, and the fish can get dissolved oxygen from the water, which is said to be in the form of molecule, but I can not find related publication or pictures about the existence form of dissolved air or oxygen in the water.

Somebody can provide any information or articles about this topic?

i need to know whether the dissolved air affects the compressibility of the water, as air-bubbles definitely do, but I don't know about dissolved air.

Thanks all guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Air is a mixture of different gases (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and some trace gases) and as such does not exist as a single molecule. Each of the constituent gases in air can be dissolved in water.

Start with this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution

You can use google to find out more information on gases dissolved in water.

SteamKing said:
Air is a mixture of different gases (nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and some trace gases) and as such does not exist as a single molecule. Each of the constituent gases in air can be dissolved in water.

Start with this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution

You can use google to find out more information on gases dissolved in water.

Thanks for your reply.

My interests right now is that how does air or gas, eg, exygen, exist in the water?

"Dissolved" means not in bubbles, but evenly mixed.

russ_watters said:
"Dissolved" means not in bubbles, but evenly mixed.

so what kind of form if not bubble?

chaney said:
so what kind of form if not bubble?
Scattered single molecules.

NascentOxygen said:
Scattered single molecules.

is there relative literature and what kind of equipment can we use to observe the microstructure of air and water mixture?

chaney said:
is there relative literature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution
and what kind of equipment can we use to observe the microstructure of air and water mixture?
We can't see molecules, but we can detect them via experiments. For example, you can open a bottle of a sweet, refreshing carbonated beverage.

russ_watters said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution

We can't see molecules, but we can detect them via experiments. For example, you can open a bottle of a sweet, refreshing carbonated beverage.

Is there any method to know how are, for example, oxygen and water moleculars bounded or arranged in the micro level? Or any relative literature references? Thanks a lot!

I really don't see how what you are asking differs from what has already been covered. Could you be more specific/detailed please.

russ_watters said:
I really don't see how what you are asking differs from what has already been covered. Could you be more specific/detailed please.

what I mean is how do oxygen molecular and water molecular arrange in the micro level? Is there any device available for us to observe the arrangement of the two kinds of moleculars? Any publications described the compressibility of the water with dissolved gas or air? Thanks a lot!

1. What is dissolved air in the water?

Dissolved air in the water refers to the presence of air molecules, such as oxygen and nitrogen, that are dissolved into the water at the molecular level. This process occurs naturally in bodies of water through the process of aeration or through the addition of air through artificial means.

2. Why is dissolved air important in water?

Dissolved air plays a crucial role in aquatic ecosystems as it provides essential oxygen for aquatic organisms to survive. It also helps regulate the temperature and pH levels of the water. Additionally, dissolved air can affect the taste and odor of water.

3. How much dissolved air should be in water?

The optimal amount of dissolved air in water varies depending on the location and type of water body. Generally, the recommended level of dissolved oxygen in freshwater ranges from 5-9mg/L, while in seawater it is around 5-7mg/L. However, these levels can fluctuate due to various factors such as temperature, salinity, and pollution.

4. Can too much dissolved air be harmful?

Yes, excessive levels of dissolved air in water can have negative impacts on aquatic life. When water is supersaturated with dissolved air, it can cause gas bubble disease in fish and other organisms. This occurs when the air bubbles become trapped in the tissues of the organism, causing physical damage and even death.

5. How can dissolved air be removed from water?

Dissolved air can be removed from water through various methods such as degassing, aeration, or filtration. In degassing, the water is exposed to a vacuum to remove the dissolved air. Aeration involves introducing air into the water to allow the excess dissolved air to escape. Filtration methods, such as membrane filtration, can also be used to remove dissolved air from water.