Find number of photons emmitted per sec?

In summary, the question is asking for the number of photons emitted per second from a Gallium Arsenide diode laser in a CD player, given that it emits 0.9 mW of power and has a bandgap of 1.42 eV. The equation used to find this is P = E/t, where E = n (1 photon energy). The two pieces of information needed to solve this are the amount of energy emitted per second and the amount of energy per photon. This translates to (energy/photon)/(energy/second), which gives the number of photons emitted per second. After unit conversions and calculations, the final answer is 3.96 x 10^15 photons per second.
Kobayashi
Hi, I have a question asking me to find the number of photons emmitted per second. I am given the information that the Gallium Arsenide diode laser emit 0.9 mW of power inside a CD player. The bandgap of the Gallium Arsenide is 1.42 eV. What equation is used to find this?

Physics news on Phys.org
P = E/t (power, energy, time)
E= n (1 photon energy)

n: piece

How come you're not given the wavelength of the emitted photons?

EDIT: Ok, I assume it's because the energy of each photon emitted would be equivalent to something which is already given in the question.

Last edited:
Where is the bandgap taken into account?

I need the bandwidth

Two pieces of information are needed to solve this:

1. The amount of energy emitted per sec.
2. The amount of energy per emitted photon.

Units aside, this information is given directly in the problem statement. The problem is to figure out how to combine the 2 numbers to get the number of emitted photons per second.

Again, how to combine
(energy) / (sec)
and
(energy) / (photon)

in order to get

(photons) / (sec)

p.s. some unit conversions are required here.

Okay so I get:

0.0009 Joules/second

and

(1.42 eV) * 1.602 x10^-19 = 2.27 x 10^-19 Joules - Is this correct? Is this the energy per photon?

Does (energy/photon)/(energy/second) not give photons/second.

Is that how the problem is solved?

Kobayashi said:
Okay so I get:

0.0009 Joules/second

and

(1.42 eV) * 1.602 x10^-19 = 2.27 x 10^-19 Joules - Is this correct? Is this the energy per photon?
Yes.

Does (energy/photon)/(energy/second) not give photons/second.
No, but you are close.

You wrote:

[tex]
\frac{(\frac{\mbox{energy}}{\mbox{photon}})}{(\frac{\mbox{energy}}{\mbox{second}})}
[/tex]

How do the units work out in what you wrote?

Hi, thanks for your help.
The only alternative I can think of is the Joules per second divided by the Joules per photon. This gives 3.96 x 10^16 Photons per sec. Is this correct?

You have the right idea, but entered the numbers into your calculator incorrectly.

Oh yes, 3.96 x 10^15. Is this the correct final answer. Thanks again for all your help.

Yes.

You're welcome :smile:

1. How do you determine the number of photons emitted per second?

The number of photons emitted per second can be determined by dividing the total energy of the light source by the energy of a single photon. This can be calculated using the equation E=hf, where E is the energy of a single photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the light source.

2. What factors affect the number of photons emitted per second?

The number of photons emitted per second can be affected by the intensity of the light source, the wavelength or frequency of the light, and the efficiency of the light source in converting energy into photons.

3. Is the number of photons emitted per second the same for all light sources?

No, the number of photons emitted per second can vary depending on the type of light source. Different light sources may have different energy levels and efficiencies, resulting in a different number of photons being emitted per second.

4. Can the number of photons emitted per second change over time?

Yes, the number of photons emitted per second can change over time. For example, a light source may lose intensity or efficiency over time, resulting in a decrease in the number of photons emitted per second.

5. How does the number of photons emitted per second relate to the brightness of a light source?

The number of photons emitted per second is directly related to the brightness of a light source. The more photons that are emitted, the brighter the light will appear. This is because our eyes perceive brightness based on the number of photons that enter our eyes.