Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lecture
In summary, Dr. Pausch gave a moving and inspirational farewell speech at Carnegie Mellon yesterday. He talked about his childhood dreams and how he had accomplished almost all of them, from winning giant stuffed animals to becoming an Imagineer to floating in zero gravity. He also offered excellent advice on life, death, and setbacks.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some universities present a Last Lecture Series in which top professors are invited to speak as if it is the last lecture they will ever give, imparting words of advice and discussing what has mattered most deeply in their lives. Yesterday, at Carnegie Mellon, the last lecture was far more than hypothetical.

Randy Pausch set the tone early on yesterday at his farewell lecture at Carnegie Mellon University.

"If I don't seem as depressed or morose as I should be, sorry to disappoint you," said Dr. Pausch.

It is probably the last public speech Dr. Pausch will give anywhere. The 46-year-old computer science professor and father of three preschoolers has incurable pancreatic cancer. Doctors have given him months to live.

Yet, standing at the podium in McConomy Auditorium on the campus yesterday, Randy Pausch did not focus on impending death. Instead, he celebrated the chance he had been given to live the life he always had dreamed of.

There's a video of some of the lecture highlights here:

I heard part of his speech on the radio this morning and very touched by his bravery and inspired by his words of wisdom. One of the things that really struck me was when he talked about setbacks, about the "brick walls" that we hit in life. He said that the brick walls are a chance to prove how badly we want something. They only keep out the people who don't want it badly enough. Considering how many of his goals he achieved, I can't help but take that advice to heart.

He spoke of his childhood dreams and how he had accomplished almost all of them: from winning giant stuffed animals to becoming an Imagineer to floating in zero gravity. It was a great presentation, very uplifting, although I did get a bit sad in parts thinking about his family that will be left behind.

The entire lecture is up on youtube.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for posting this, MIH.

Thanks MIH, that's great!

Pausch has a great sense of humor and offers excellent advice.

What an inspiration he is.

My condolensces to his family, colleagues and students.

Last edited:
The full video is here http://wms.andrew.cmu.edu/001/pausch.wmv [Broken]

I just watched the full lecture. It was pretty good -- I even got a bit teary towards the end! Very inspiring man. I would say a life well-lived.

Condolences to his family and friends.

He just delivered a spectacular commencement speech at CMU:

Randy Pausch died this morning. Farewell, Randy!

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and a best-selling book, has died. He was 47.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/07/25/obit.pausch.ap/index.html [Broken]

And to correct the sloppy slander by the Associated Press, Pausch's Last Lecture was not about facing terminal cancer.

:frown:

Sorry to see him go.

He died today? Wow. It's been a long time since I watched his last lecture, but if I remember correctly he was a pretty funny guy with a lot of interesting stories.

R.I.P

Farewell Randy, you changed my life.

Farewell, Dr. Pausch. Gone too soon. RIP.

I wish his wife and children well. My thoughts are with them and his students, colleagues and friends.

1. What is the topic of Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture?

The topic of Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture is "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams." In this lecture, Pausch reflects on his life and shares valuable lessons and advice on how to achieve your dreams and make the most out of life.

2. When and where was Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture given?

Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture was given on September 18, 2007 at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was part of the university's "Last Lecture" series, where professors were asked to give a hypothetical final lecture as if it were their last chance to share their wisdom and life lessons.

3. Who is Randy Pausch and why is his Farewell Lecture significant?

Randy Pausch was a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University. He became well-known for his inspirational lecture on achieving childhood dreams after being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. His lecture went viral and was turned into a book, making Pausch a symbol of hope and motivation for people all over the world.

4. What are some key takeaways from Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture?

Some key takeaways from Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture include the importance of having a positive attitude, setting specific and achievable goals, working hard and persevering through challenges, and cherishing the people and moments in your life. Pausch also emphasized the value of honesty, integrity, and finding joy in life's small moments.

5. How did Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture inspire others?

Randy Pausch's Farewell Lecture inspired others by showing them that even in the face of adversity, it is possible to maintain a positive outlook and pursue your dreams. His lecture also reminded people to appreciate the present and make the most out of life. Pausch's story and lessons continue to inspire people to live life to the fullest and leave a positive impact on the world.