How to solve for x in this trig jumble?

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, homework statement: basically, solve for x that satisfies-2cosx - 2cos2x = 0-2cosx = 2cos2xcosx = cos2xacos(cosx) = acos(cos2x)
zeion

Homework Statement

Basically I need to solve for x that satisfies

2cosx - 2cos2x = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed it to 4sin(x/2)sin(3x/2) = 0
Then I know that sin(0) and sin(pi) = 0
So solve for x(1/2) = pi and x(3/2) = pi.
I get 4pi/3 and the other one is out of the indicated bound.
But this is not the only solution. How do I get all the solutions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zeion said:

Homework Statement

Basically I need to solve for x that satisfies

2cosx - 2cos2x = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed it to 4sin(x/2)sin(3x/2) = 0
Then I know that sin(0) and sin(pi) = 0
So solve for x(1/2) = pi and x(3/2) = pi.
I get 4pi/3 and the other one is out of the indicated bound.
But this is not the only solution. How do I get all the solutions?

Thanks
First off, divide both sides by 2.
Next, replace cos(2x) with 2cos2 - 1. This produces an equation that is quadratic in form.

There is a much easier way. :smile:

Do as Mark said, and the other solutions should become apparent. You didn't specify what the bound was, but remember that, for example, if sin(x) = 1/2, (assuming it is unbounded) the solutions will be π/6 +2kπ and 5π/6 + 2kπ . There may be more than one solution for each.

By the way, I'm interested in the easier way to solve it. Can you send me a message giving me a hint? It's killing me, I can't seem to figure out how to do it easier. Or was the easier way the quadratic?

mharten1 said:
By the way, I'm interested in the easier way to solve it.

Since the approach already given is pretty simple in itself, I guess there is no problem posting the other way, which seems simpler to me. Either way is pretty straightforward. However, to me it seems more direct to do this.

2cosx - 2cos2x = 0
2cosx = 2cos2x
cosx = cos2x
acos(cosx) = acos(cos2x) with proper consideration for periodicity (-pi<x<pi) and proper domains for acos(arg)

Of course, one can get the answer visually from here, but to be formal consider the proper domains for acos function (i.e. 0<=arg<pi)

for 0<x<pi/2 we get x=2x which gives x=0

for pi/2<x<pi we get x=2(-x+pi) which gives x=2pi/3

then symmetry about x=0 gives x=-2pi/3

So the three solutions in one period are x=0, 2pi/3, -2pi/3

Then these answers will repeat every integer multiple of 2pi

1. How do I identify the given trigonometric function?

The given expression may contain trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, or their inverses. Look for these functions and their respective variables to identify the given trigonometric function.

2. What is the basic trigonometric identity used to solve for x?

The Pythagorean identity, sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1, is the most commonly used identity to solve for x in a trigonometric expression.

3. How do I simplify a trigonometric expression before solving for x?

Use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression by factoring, expanding, or using reciprocal identities. This will make it easier to solve for x.

4. What is the process to solve for x in a trigonometric equation?

First, simplify the expression using trigonometric identities. Then, isolate the trigonometric function containing x on one side of the equation. Use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for x. Finally, check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation.

5. Are there any special cases when solving for x in a trigonometric expression?

Yes, there are two special cases: when the equation has multiple solutions and when the equation has no solution. In the case of multiple solutions, the solution set will often include a general solution using the formula for nπ, where n is an integer. In the case of no solution, the equation may be inconsistent or the solution may lie outside the domain of the trigonometric function.