HELP determine work needed to push a crate up a ramp at constant speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work required to slide a 600-kg crate up a ramp at a constant speed, with the given information of the ramp's dimensions and the lack of friction. The correct answer is d) 5.88*10^3 J, and the conversation also clarifies the difference between force and energy and the need for equations to relate the two.
dani123

Homework Statement

A ramp leading up to a loading platform is 3 m long and 1 m high at its highest point. If the friction is ignored, what work is needed to slide a 600-kg crate up the ramp at a constant speed?
a) 2.00 *10^2 J
b) 5.89 *10^2 J
c) 1.80 *10^3 J
d) 5.88 *10^3 J

I believe the answer is d) but I would just like someone to explain the answer to me and correct me if d) isn't the answer. THANK YOU SO MUCH, in advance :)

Homework Equations

a=0
Fnet=0... because its at a constant speed
W=Ffriction=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

W=600kg*9.8m/s^2= 5.88*10^3J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi dani123! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
dani123 said:
Fnet=0... because its at a constant speed

correct :smile:
W=Ffriction=mg

wrong, W is work, that's completely different from force

work done equals the change in energy, so you need an equation relating W and potential energy
W=600kg*9.8m/s^2= 5.88*10^3J

maybe it's right, maybe it isn't, but the reasoning is certainly wrong :wink:

Ok so this may be a stupid question but is there a difference between force and energy? If so how am I suppose to calculate the energy in order to get the work required to push the crate up the ramp! Thanks so much for your time

dani123 said:
Ok so this may be a stupid question but is there a difference between force and energy?

erm … yeeees! :smile:

big difference

energy = work = force times distance

(for example, mg is force, mgh is energy)

you need to go back to your book, and read those chapters again, before trying any more of these questions! :wink:

ops! lol its been a long day haha thank you

1. How do I determine the work needed to push a crate up a ramp at constant speed?

To determine the work needed, you will need to know the mass of the crate, the angle of the ramp, and the force required to push the crate up the ramp. You can use the formula W = mgh, where W is the work, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the ramp.

2. What is the relationship between work and force when pushing a crate up a ramp at constant speed?

The relationship between work and force is that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance moved in the direction of the force. So, in this case, the force required to push the crate up the ramp will determine the amount of work needed to be done.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the work needed to push a crate up at constant speed?

The angle of the ramp affects the work needed because it determines the height that the crate needs to be pushed. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the higher the crate needs to be lifted, and thus, the more work is required.

4. Can you explain what constant speed means in this scenario?

Constant speed means that the crate is being pushed up the ramp at a steady rate, without any changes in speed. This means that the force applied must be enough to balance out the force of gravity pulling the crate down the ramp, resulting in a net force of zero and a constant speed.

5. How can I calculate the force required to push a crate up a ramp at constant speed?

You can calculate the force required by using the formula F = mg*sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ramp. This will give you the minimum force required to push the crate up the ramp at constant speed.