Wave on a string meeting a boundary between areas of different densities

In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding normal modes and waves and is seeking help in solving a specific question for their exams. They have derived the wave equation but are feeling lost in the second part and are looking for guidance. However, another person suggests posting in advanced physics instead of introductory physics for better assistance.
99wattr89
This is the problem I'm working on: http://i.imgur.com/PBMFG.png

I'm very behind with normal modes and waves, and I need to figure out how to do this sort of question in time for my exams, so I'm hoping that you guys will be able to help me see how this can be answered.

I've answered the first part, deriving he wave equation, but for the second part I'm feeling very lost. Can someone give me a hint or nudge in the right direction for how to get started with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help?

I certainly don't know how to answer that, but seeing those second O.D.E's makes me think you might have better luck not posting this in introductory physics.

NewtonianAlch said:
I certainly don't know how to answer that, but seeing those second O.D.E's makes me think you might have better luck not posting this in introductory physics.

Oh, I see! Thanks for the advice, I'll try advanced physics.

I can understand your struggle with this problem and I am happy to offer some guidance. To begin, it is important to understand the concept of waves and their behavior when meeting a boundary between areas of different densities.

First, let's review the wave equation, which describes the motion of a wave on a string:

d^2y/dt^2 = (T/μ) * d^2y/dx^2

where d^2y/dt^2 is the acceleration of a small element of the string, T is the tension in the string, μ is the linear mass density of the string, and d^2y/dx^2 is the curvature of the string.

In the second part of the problem, we are given a wave on a string that meets a boundary between two areas of different densities. This means that the linear mass density (μ) will change at the boundary. To solve this problem, we need to use the boundary conditions for waves at a boundary, which are:

1. The displacement (y) must be continuous at the boundary.
2. The tension (T) must be continuous at the boundary.

Using these conditions, we can set up equations for the wave on either side of the boundary and then solve for the unknown variables.

I would suggest starting by drawing a diagram of the wave on the string and labeling the different areas of densities. Then, use the wave equation and the boundary conditions to set up equations for both sides of the boundary. From there, you can solve for the unknown variables and determine the behavior of the wave at the boundary.

I hope this helps to nudge you in the right direction. Remember to always review the concepts and equations related to waves and practice solving similar problems to improve your understanding. Best of luck on your exams!

1. What is a wave on a string meeting a boundary between areas of different densities?

A wave on a string meeting a boundary between areas of different densities is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave traveling along a string encounters a change in the density of the medium it is traveling through. This change in density causes the wave to reflect and refract, resulting in a change in direction and amplitude of the wave.

2. How does the density of the medium affect the wave on a string?

The density of the medium affects the wave on a string in two ways. First, it determines the speed at which the wave travels. Second, it determines how much the wave will reflect and refract when it encounters a boundary between areas of different densities.

3. What happens when a wave on a string meets a boundary between areas of different densities?

When a wave on a string meets a boundary between areas of different densities, part of the wave will be reflected back into the original medium, while the rest will be transmitted into the new medium. The amount of reflection and transmission depends on the difference in density between the two mediums and the angle at which the wave meets the boundary.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the wave on a string meeting a boundary between areas of different densities?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the wave meets the boundary, affects the wave on a string in two ways. First, it determines the angle at which the reflected wave will travel. Second, it determines the amount of reflection and transmission that will occur.

5. Can the wave on a string meet a boundary between areas of different densities without any reflection or refraction?

No, the wave on a string will always reflect and refract when it meets a boundary between areas of different densities. However, the amount of reflection and refraction can be minimized if the two mediums have similar densities and the wave meets the boundary at a perpendicular angle.