Degeneracy in 3-D Rectangular Boxes: Explained

In summary: which is when you happen to get a set of values for n,l and m that leads to degeneracy even if you didn't intend for it.
judonight
This isn't a homework question, rather a question about something stated in my book and an online source.

When is there degeracy in a 3-D rectangular box when none of the sides are of equal length?

I understand that when there are two or more state functions that have same energy level there is degeneracy... but more general, I read something online about the ratio of quantum numbers n must be equal to and integer (yet not equal to each other), and/or there must be a linear combination of the lengths of the sides (i.e a=.5*b=.25*c, a being length in x, etc.)

Can someone better explain this to me?

As always, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to know are the eigenvalues. If the lengths of the box are Lx, Ly and Lz, then the eigenvalues are:

[tex]E_{nlm}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(k_x^2+k_y^2+k_z^2)[/tex]
where [tex]k_x = \pi n/L_x[/tex]
[tex]k_y = \pi l/L_y[/tex]
[tex]k_z = \pi m/L_z[/tex] .
with n,l and m integers.

You have degeneracy when you can find different values of n,l and m with the same value for E.

There may be no degeneracy if you can't express the lengths of the box in terms of the other lengths in relation to integer values. Degeneracy only arises when there is some sort of symmetry in the system, and clearly that's not the case for some random box lengths.

StatMechGuy said:
There may be no degeneracy if you can't express the lengths of the box in terms of the other lengths in relation to integer values. Degeneracy only arises when there is some sort of symmetry in the system, and clearly that's not the case for some random box lengths.

I understand the symmetry.

Expressing the lengths in terms of other lengths as integers, you mean possibly some kind of multiple length of two sides in relation to the first would be suitable for degeneracy?

judonight said:
I understand the symmetry.

Expressing the lengths in terms of other lengths as integers, you mean possibly some kind of multiple length of two sides in relation to the first would be suitable for degeneracy?

This is called accidental degeneracy...

1. What is degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes?

Degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy levels of a particle or system have the same energy value. In other words, there is a degeneracy when there are multiple ways for a particle to have the same energy within a given system.

2. How is degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes explained?

Degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes is explained through the use of quantum mechanics and the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes the behavior of particles in a potential well, such as a 3-D rectangular box, and allows us to calculate the energy levels of the system.

3. What are the implications of degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes?

Degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes has important implications in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and materials science. It affects the behavior and properties of particles within a system and can be used to explain various phenomena, such as the electronic structure of atoms and the behavior of materials under different conditions.

4. How is degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes calculated?

Degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes is calculated by determining the number of ways that particles can have the same energy value within a given system. This can be done by solving the Schrödinger equation and considering the boundary conditions and constraints of the system.

5. Can degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes be observed in real-life systems?

Yes, degeneracy in 3-D rectangular boxes can be observed in various real-life systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid materials. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified through various studies and experiments.