Dividing Exponential Functions: A Guide

• Thread starter impendingChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, to divide two exponential functions in the format A*e^(Cx)+B, there is typically no nice simplification and there may be an invariant remainder. One method to potentially simplify is to make the substitution e^x = y and rewrite the functions as linear expressions. However, this may run into natural log rules. Additionally, to find a relationship between two functions f(n) and g(v), further steps are needed. Any help in this regard would be appreciated.
impendingChaos
How would one go about dividing two exponential functions.
Basically I have f(x)=k*g(x)
So to solve for k, k=f(x)/g(x)
How would one accomplish this when the functions are both within the format:
A*e^(Cx)+B

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's usually no nice simplification when there's a sum in the denominator.

There is a way to simplify, but it's not necessarily what you are looking for. You might or might not end up with an invariant remainder. Here:

[tex]\frac{Ae^{Cx} + B}{Oe^{Px} + Q}[/tex]

For example, let's say A = 1 and P = 1[tex]\frac{Ae^{x} + B}{Oe^{x} + Q}[/tex]

Make the substitution e^x = y and get

[tex]\frac{Ay + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

Now we can write

[tex]\frac{A/O(Oy + Q - Q) + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A/O(Oy + Q ) - QA/O + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

[tex]A/O + \frac{B - QA/O}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

B - QA/O is the remainder here.

Last edited:
Hmm I will try your method Werg but like you say I am not sure it is what I am looking for.
I am also trying to make both individual functions into linear expressions by taking the natural log of both sides however I run into natrual log rules which keep this from succeeding. Any ideas in the department?
Another note, I would like to clarify that I should have represented the functions as something like:
f(n)
g(v)
they are both describing different attributes of a system. What I am trying to accomplish is finding a relationship between n and v. Still working towards a solution so any help greatly appreciated.

C.N.

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function where the independent variable appears in an exponent. It is commonly written in the form f(x) = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the independent variable.

2. How do you divide exponential functions?

To divide exponential functions, you need to simplify the expressions by using the properties of exponents. This includes using the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule. After simplifying the expressions, you can then divide the coefficients and the bases of the exponential functions.

3. What is the quotient rule for dividing exponential functions?

The quotient rule for dividing exponential functions states that when dividing two exponential expressions with the same base, you can subtract the exponents and keep the same base. For example, (a^x)/(a^y) = a^(x-y).

4. Can you divide exponential functions with different bases?

Yes, you can divide exponential functions with different bases. To do so, you need to rewrite the expressions with the same base by using the power of a power rule. For example, (a^x)/(b^x) = (a/b)^x.

5. Why is it important to simplify exponential expressions before dividing?

Simplifying exponential expressions before dividing helps to make the calculation easier and reduces the chances of making mistakes. It also helps to find the simplest form of the expression, which is useful when graphing or solving equations involving exponential functions.