Just a few questions relating to graphs

• Thread starter ianb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, when looking at a current-voltage graph, the slope represents 1/R and the power is equal to the area under the line, which is the area of the rectangle formed by the current and voltage values. This differs from the area of the triangle, which would be calculated using P = IV.
ianb
I'm not following the format because this isn't really a homework question -- I'm just studying for my finals and encountered a few graphs in the electricity unit, and want a few things cleared up.

So in a current-voltage graph, the slope is 1/R, and power (according to my teacher) is the area under the line. I only have a problem with the latter claim-- say we have a point on a linear line whose coordinate is (20,4). Should P = IV = 20 x 4 = 80 rather than P = Area = 20 x 4 x 0.5 = 40?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, power should be area of the rectangle rather than area of the triangle.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It's great to see that you are studying for your finals and taking the time to understand graphs in the electricity unit.

To start, let's clarify the meaning of slope and power in a current-voltage graph. The slope of a current-voltage graph is indeed equal to 1/R, where R is the resistance in the circuit. This is because Ohm's law states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. Therefore, the slope of the graph, which is the change in voltage over the change in current, is equal to R.

Now, let's address the issue with power. Your teacher is correct in saying that power is equal to the area under the line on a current-voltage graph. However, this only applies to non-linear lines. In the case of a linear line, such as the one you mentioned with coordinates (20,4), the power can be calculated using the formula P = IV, where I is the current and V is the voltage at that point. So in this case, P = 20 x 4 = 80, as you correctly stated.

However, if the line is non-linear, the power cannot be calculated using the simple formula P = IV. This is because the current and voltage values are constantly changing along the line, and the formula only applies to a single point on the graph. In this case, we use the area under the line to calculate the power, as it takes into account all the changing values of current and voltage along the line. This is why your teacher mentioned that power is equal to the area under the line in a current-voltage graph.

I hope this clears up any confusion you had about current-voltage graphs and power calculations. Good luck on your finals!

Best,

What is the purpose of graphs in scientific research?

Graphs are visual representations of data that allow researchers to identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables. They are useful tools for organizing and presenting complex data in a more accessible and understandable format.

What are the different types of graphs commonly used in scientific research?

The most commonly used graphs in scientific research include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, histograms, and pie charts. Each type of graph has its own advantages and is suitable for visualizing different types of data.

How do I choose the most appropriate graph for my research data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the purpose of your research. For example, if you want to compare data between different categories, a bar graph would be suitable. If you want to show the relationship between two variables, a scatter plot would be more appropriate.

What are the key components of a graph?

The key components of a graph include the title, axes, labels, legend, and data points. The title should clearly describe the purpose of the graph, while the axes should be labeled with the variables being measured. The legend is used to identify different data sets, and labels help to provide context for the data points.

How can I make my graphs more visually appealing and effective?

To make your graphs more visually appealing and effective, you can use colors, different shapes or symbols for data points, and appropriate scales on the axes. It is also important to ensure that your graphs are clearly labeled and easy to read, with a suitable amount of whitespace to avoid clutter.