Searching for the Best Free Document-to-PDF Converter

• Thread starter wxrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, when searching for the best free document-to-PDF converter, it is important to consider factors such as compatibility with different file types, ease of use, and additional features like batch conversion and cloud storage. Some top options include Smallpdf, PDFelement, and Zamzar, all of which offer a user-friendly interface and efficient conversion capabilities. It is also worth checking out online reviews and comparing the pricing plans of each converter to find the best fit for your needs.
wxrocks
Anyone have a favorite program for converting documents to PDFs -- esp. the free ones! :-) I would like to try a couple and I want to narrow my search here first with the experts!

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used to just use ghostscript then paid for pdf996 (only about $10) now I use the free http://www.dopdf.com/ works very well so far.

This is on windows I assume, on linux it's easy to use ghostscript.

I really like PDF995. It's free or you can register it. I have never done that. The only thing I deal with is a little pop up after every time you print with it. I have been very happy with it. It doesn't add any watermarks like some converters do and it has worked on a large array of paper sizes I use like engineering drawings.

On linux:

ps2pdf

Specifically,

latex foo.tex
dvips -Ppdf -G0 foo.dvi
ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE=a4 foo.ps

Are my staple commands :biggrin:

On windows, I usually sign up for the Adobe free trial thing when it's necessary :tongue:

I think OO Word Processor let's you convert to pdf.

OpenOffice.org has a suite of (free) programs that can save to PDF.

LaTeX makes dvi files by default, but pdflatex (and pdftex) make pdfs. On Windows, MikTeX works well.

try CutePDF... if you google it, it should come up.

The process after downloading involves just printing, and then when the print dialogue box opens, you select the CutePDF "printer", then you hit "Print" and it sends that file as a pdf to the directory that you selected.

Hope this helps.

pud

I've been satisfied with PrimoPDF.

I use TeXnicCenter alond with MikTeX, and I'm more than satisfied.

As a general "systemwide"- tool in Linux -> cups-pdf.

1. What is a document-to-PDF converter and why do I need one?

A document-to-PDF converter is a software tool that allows you to convert different types of documents, such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, into the PDF format. PDFs are widely used for sharing and preserving documents as they can be opened on any device and maintain their formatting. A converter is useful if you frequently need to convert documents to PDF or if you want to ensure that the recipient can view the document as intended.

2. Are there any free document-to-PDF converters available?

Yes, there are many free document-to-PDF converters available online. These can be downloaded as software or used through a web-based platform. Some popular options include Smallpdf, PDFelement, and PDFCreator.

3. How do I choose the best free document-to-PDF converter?

To choose the best converter, consider your specific needs and the features offered by different converters. Look for a converter that is user-friendly, has a good reputation, and offers the features you need, such as batch conversion or the ability to convert multiple file types. Reading reviews and trying out different options can also help you make an informed decision.

4. Are free document-to-PDF converters safe to use?

Most free document-to-PDF converters are safe to use, but it is important to be cautious when downloading software from the internet. Make sure to download from a reputable source and always run a virus scan on any downloaded files. Additionally, be aware that some free converters may have limited features or may add watermarks to converted documents.

5. Can I convert large or multiple documents with a free converter?

This depends on the specific converter you choose. Some free converters may have limitations on file size or the number of documents that can be converted at once. It is important to check the features of your chosen converter to ensure it can handle your needs.