Solving Car Overtaking Truck Problem

• Thread starter azila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Truck
In summary, the driver of a car is attempting to pass a truck traveling at a constant speed of 19.3 m/s. The car begins accelerating at a rate of 0.600 m/s^2 and pulls back into the truck's lane when the rear of the car is 25.8 m ahead of the front of the truck. The car is 4.5 m long and the truck is 21.4 m long. To calculate the time required for the car to pass the truck, the equations for displacement of the car and the truck are set equal to each other. The resulting time is 79.7 seconds. Additionally, the distance traveled by the car during this time is calculated to be 75.
azila

Homework Statement

Thr driver of a car wishes to pass a truck that is traveling at a constant speed of 19.3 m/s. Initially, the car is also traveling at a speed 19.3 m/s and its front bumper is a distance 23.9 m behind the truck's rear bumper. The car begins accelerating at a constant acceleration 0.600 m/s^2. Then pulls back into the truck's lane when the reat of the car is a distance 25.8 m ahead of the front of the truck. The car is of length 4.5 m and the truck is of length 21.4 m .

a. How much time is required for the car to pass the truck

b. What distance does the car travel during this time

c. What is the final speed of the car

Homework Equations

I was using the equation where xcar = Xo + Voxt + (1/2)at
and the xtruck = Xo + Voxt + (1/2)at. The problem is that I know that if I were asking how much time does it take for the car to be at the same position as the truck I would set the two equations equal to each other, but I am asking how long does it take to overtake the truck. I even tried, adding the distances but I am getting more and more confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vintially of Car = 19.3 m/s Vinitially of Truck = 19.3 m/s
acceleration of car: .600 m/s^2 Acceleration of Truck = 0
X Distance of Car = 0 X distance of Truck = 23.9

Now, would I set them equal to each other to get the time that it takes the car to overtake the truck or should I add distances? I am really confused. Please HELP ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you setting equal to each other? What are the two displacement equations of the car and the truck? Split the problem into pieces if you need to.

By saying that I am going to set them equal to each other, I meant would i need to set the equations equal to each other like this:

xcar = Xo + Vot + (1/2)at xtruck = Xo + Vot + (1/2)at
xcar = 0 + 19.3t + (1/2)(.600)t xtruck = 23.9 + 19.3t + (1/2)(0)t
xcar = 19.3t + .3t x truck = 23.9 + 19.3t

19.3t + .3t = 23.9 + 19.3t
.3t = 23.9
t = 79.7 sec?

The answer though is not right; I don't know what to do. Am I even in the right path or direction of solving. I am working it like a problem in the textbook that shows how to work it. Thanks for replying but I am stuck.

How far does the car have to go?
s(car) = rear distance + length of truck + length of car + distance in front + extra distance truck moved
s(car) = 23.9 + 21.4 + 25.8 + 4.5 + v(truck)t
s(car) = 75.6 + v(truck)*t = 75.6 + 19.3t

And as you said
s(car) = ut + 1/2 at^2 = 19.3t + 0.5 * 0.6 * t^2
Set these equal to each other and solve for t

(ps always check my numbers I might have made an arithmetic error!)

Thank You So Much! You Don't Know How Much You Have Helped Me! Thanks Again!

What is the "Solving Car Overtaking Truck Problem"?

The Solving Car Overtaking Truck Problem is a scientific problem that involves finding the optimal solution for a car to overtake a truck on a single-lane road without causing any accidents or disruptions in traffic flow.

What factors should be considered when solving this problem?

When solving the Car Overtaking Truck Problem, factors such as the speeds of the car and truck, the length of the road, the visibility of the road, and the presence of any other vehicles on the road should be taken into account.

What are the potential risks of overtaking a truck on a single-lane road?

The potential risks of overtaking a truck on a single-lane road include accidents, collisions with other vehicles, loss of control of the car, and disruptions in traffic flow.

What is the most common approach to solving this problem?

The most common approach to solving the Car Overtaking Truck Problem is using mathematical models and simulations to determine the optimal solution for overtaking based on the given factors and conditions.

What are some techniques used to ensure safe overtaking of a truck on a single-lane road?

Some techniques used to ensure safe overtaking of a truck on a single-lane road include maintaining a safe distance from the truck, assessing the visibility and speed of oncoming vehicles, signaling clearly and early, and accelerating quickly to minimize the time spent in the opposite lane.