Record-Breaking Rainfall in Mackay, Queensland: Any Similar Occurrences?

• Thread starter ChrisLeslie
  • Start date
In summary, there have been several significant rainfall events in different parts of the world, including Mackay, Queensland and western Kentucky. These events have caused flooding in some areas, but some towns and cities are better prepared for these occurrences.
ChrisLeslie
The town of Mackay on the Queensland coast recently had over 600ml of rain in a 6-hour event. This is more than the total annual rainfall for my home town in one event. Fortunately that town is used to infrequent floods and was not so disasterous. Does anybody know of similar or greater rainfall events occurring recently?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Is that 600 ml/sq m?

I've experienced about 0.3 m of rain in 24 hr period, or 0.5 m in 72 hrs, with up to about 5 cm/hr rate. About 18 months ago, we had two events like that, and the second event resulted in significant flooding.

Last edited:
Years ago, I had to fly into western Kentucky to conduct an on-site safety training seminar for operators of chemical recovery boiler operators at a pulp mill. Approaching the airport in Paducah, I could see water practically everywhere. They had gotten 6" (15cm) of rain in less than 24 hours the previous day. Since this region is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers and is quite flat, it is prone to flooding. To protect property from flooding from up-river surges, the rivers are bordered with levees and flood walls. The problem is that these barriers impede the run-off of waters from heavy rains, so the lands "protected" by these barriers remained flooded, and when I took of for St. Louis at the end of the week, the low-lying areas were still covered with standing water.

1. What caused the record-breaking rainfall in Mackay, Queensland?

The record-breaking rainfall in Mackay, Queensland was caused by a combination of weather patterns, including a low pressure system and a tropical cyclone, that brought heavy rain to the area.

2. How much rain fell during the record-breaking event?

According to official records, the total rainfall during the record-breaking event in Mackay, Queensland was approximately 649mm, which is more than double the average rainfall for the entire month.

3. Were there any significant damages or impacts from the record-breaking rainfall in Mackay, Queensland?

Yes, there were significant damages and impacts from the record-breaking rainfall, including flooding, road closures, and damage to homes and infrastructure. The heavy rainfall also caused disruptions to transportation and businesses in the area.

4. How does this record-breaking rainfall event compare to previous occurrences in Mackay, Queensland?

This event was significantly higher than previous rainfall records in Mackay, Queensland. The previous record for the most rain in a single day was 316mm, which was set in 1950.

5. Is this record-breaking rainfall event a sign of climate change?

It is difficult to determine the exact cause of this record-breaking rainfall event and whether it is directly linked to climate change. However, extreme weather events like this are becoming more frequent and intense in many parts of the world, which could be a sign of climate change.