Civil Engineering with specialization in aviation or Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the speaker is currently studying a second bachelor's degree in engineering with a focus on mechanics and electrical engineering. They have the option to pursue a master's degree in engineering with a specialization in Aviation and Space Travel at their current university or switch to a different university for a master's in Aerospace Engineering, with a pre-master program. Their goal is to work for a space agency and they are considering whether to take the master's in mechanical engineering or switch to Aerospace Engineering for a more specialized degree in their field of interest.
Kyouran
I'm currently in 2nd bachelor in engineering (major mechanics and minor electrical engineering).

My university offers a master in engineering with the option Aviation and Space Travel, but I can also switch to another university (in a different country) and do a master in Aerospace Engineering (with a premaster program ofc.)

(Side note: It seems the definition of civil engineer is different in my country, so sorry if the title sounds misleading. Here it's a title you receive after you obtain a master degree in any sort of engineering and grants you some rights (like designing your own house without asking help from an architect etc.))

My goal is to work for some space agency (ESA/NASA/... I don't really care, as long as I can do something related to space).

Should I take the master in mechanical engineering specializing in aviation and space travel or should I switch to Aerospace Engineering?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd take Aerospace Engineering because I think you'd still be taking mechanical engineering classes

I would recommend considering the specific courses and research opportunities offered in each program before making a decision. Both Civil Engineering with a specialization in aviation and Aerospace Engineering have a strong focus on mechanics, which is important for designing and building aircraft and spacecraft. However, Aerospace Engineering may offer more specialized courses and research opportunities directly related to space exploration and technology.

Additionally, I would suggest looking into the faculty and resources available in each program, as well as potential internship or co-op opportunities with space agencies or companies. Networking and gaining experience in the field can be crucial for landing a job with a space agency.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests and career goals. If you are passionate about space exploration and technology, Aerospace Engineering may be the better fit. However, if you are interested in a broader range of applications for mechanics, Civil Engineering with a specialization in aviation may be a good choice as well. Consider talking to professors and students in both programs to get a better understanding of the curriculum and opportunities available.

1. What is the difference between civil engineering with specialization in aviation and aerospace engineering?

Civil engineering with specialization in aviation focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of airports, runways, and other aviation-related infrastructure. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace technology. While both fields are closely related, civil engineering with specialization in aviation has a more specific focus on aviation infrastructure.

2. What skills are required to pursue a career in civil engineering with specialization in aviation or aerospace engineering?

To be successful in these fields, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team are also important. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software is also essential for both civil engineering with specialization in aviation and aerospace engineering.

3. What are some common job roles for individuals with a degree in civil engineering with specialization in aviation or aerospace engineering?

Some common job roles in civil engineering with specialization in aviation include airport engineer, runway engineer, and aviation infrastructure project manager. In aerospace engineering, common job titles include aerospace engineer, spacecraft designer, and aircraft systems engineer.

4. How is technology impacting the field of civil engineering with specialization in aviation or aerospace engineering?

Technology is constantly evolving and has a significant impact on these fields. In civil engineering with specialization in aviation, new technologies such as 3D printing and drone technology are being used for surveying and construction purposes. In aerospace engineering, advancements in materials and computer simulations have greatly improved the design and development process of aircraft and spacecraft.

5. What are some current challenges facing the aviation and aerospace industries that civil engineers can help solve?

One of the biggest challenges facing the aviation industry is the need for sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices. Civil engineers with specialization in aviation can help by designing and implementing green infrastructure solutions, such as solar-powered airports and sustainable runway materials. In the aerospace industry, challenges include reducing fuel consumption and emissions, and civil engineers can contribute by designing more efficient aircraft and spacecraft systems.