Can someone Please help me understand E(X) expected values in statistics

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: So, in summary, if the teacher says E(Y|X=1)=1 then that means the maximum value of Die1 and Die2 is 1.
laura_a

Homework Statement

I have two dice, let X and Y denote (rspectively) min and maximum of the number of spots showing on the two die. Determine E(Y|X=x) for 1 <= x <=6.

Homework Equations

Basically all I need to do is work out E(Y| x=1), E(Y|x=2) and so on until x=6. The reason I am stuck is that the teacher has told me that E(Y|X=1)=1 and I don't understand how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that E(Y|X=2) so that means (I think) that when X=2 that is the maximum, so then I thought Y could either be 1 or 2, so that means 2/36 ? But how come E(Y|X=1) is =1?

See the problem is, statistics is the only branch of mathematics I don't enjoy so I can't really get my head around the question and what it's asking

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by the "min and maximum of the number of spots showing on two die". A die has a fixed number of spots so how can there be a minimum and maximum?

Do you mean to say that X is the maximum and Y is the minimum? Because it does not make any sense that E(Y|X=1) = 1 otherwise.

Suppose that that's what you mean. Then X = 1 implies Max{Die1,Die2} = 1. Clearly this is only possible in the case where Die1 and Die2 are both equal to 1, hence E(Y|X=1) = 1, as it's the only value Y can have.

Think of it like this. You roll one die. It comes up, say, 4. Then you roll a 4-sided die. What's your expected value now? This is how conditional expectation works. So, E[Min | Max=4] = 1/4*(1+2+3+4) = 2.5.

Say you have two die [tex]D_1[/tex] and [tex]D_2[/tex]. If one of them comes up as 1 and the other comes up as [tex]n[/tex] then [tex]min{D_1,D_2}[/tex] is always going to be 1. This is because the minimum of 1 and any other number has to be 1 because you can't roll lower than 1!

What is E(X) or expected value?

E(X), also known as expected value, is a measure of central tendency in statistics. It represents the average outcome of a random variable over a large number of trials or experiments.

How is E(X) calculated?

E(X) is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome of a random variable by its corresponding probability, and then adding all of these products together. This can also be represented as a weighted average of the possible outcomes.

What does E(X) tell us about a data set?

E(X) tells us the expected outcome or average result of a random variable. It can provide insight into the behavior and trends of a data set, and can be used to make predictions or decisions based on probabilities.

What is the significance of E(X) in statistics?

E(X) is a fundamental concept in statistics, as it allows us to summarize and understand the behavior of a random variable. It is commonly used in decision making, risk analysis, and other applications to determine the expected outcome of a situation.

How is E(X) used in real-world scenarios?

E(X) is used in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as in finance to calculate expected returns on investments, in insurance to determine the expected payout for a policy, and in quality control to determine the expected value of a product's performance. It is also used in various fields of science, engineering, and economics to make predictions and inform decision making.