Abstract Algebra Test: Can I Still Make an A?

In summary, this person is angry because they could have gotten a better score on a test if they hadn't been stressed out. They have three more tests before the final exam, and if they do well on these tests their grade will be calculated differently than if they hadn't been stressed out.
sutupidmath
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, i had a test in Abstract Algebra, and i got a 85, which roughly means a B, and i am really pissed off at myself, because if i only had been less stressful during the test i could have easily gotten a score above 90...because not more than 1 hour or sth after the test, i was able to figure out my mistakes. We are going to have two or three more tests before the final exam, so how badly will this affect my chances for eventually making an A in the course?

thnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't your course syllabus tell you how the final grade will be calculated?

I think it says sth like this: 20% each midterm, 10% homework assignments, and the rest the final. I guess we have 3 mid-terms.

I assume you're a math major if you're taking Abstract Algebra. I think you can figure out exactly what you need.

alligatorman said:
I assume you're a math major if you're taking Abstract Algebra. I think you can figure out exactly what you need.

Well, yeah, i got it!

sutupidmath said:
I was just wondering, i had a test in Abstract Algebra, and i got a 85, which roughly means a B, and i am really pissed off at myself, because if i only had been less stressful during the test i could have easily gotten a score above 90...

So your grade was [tex]85+90i[/tex]. The real part of your score was 85, and the imaginary part was 90.

alligatorman said:

Now, you KNOW mathematicians can't do arithmetic! We get into mathematics so we can use "x"s and "y"s instead of all those complicated numbers!

Vanadium 50 said:
So your grade was [tex]85+90i[/tex]. The real part of your score was 85, and the imaginary part was 90.

[tex]85+93i[/tex]

Just to be more precise...lol...!

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures and their properties. It deals with abstract concepts such as groups, rings, and fields, rather than specific numbers or objects.

2. How is abstract algebra different from regular algebra?

Regular algebra deals with specific numbers and operations, while abstract algebra deals with the general properties and structures of algebraic systems. It is more abstract and general than regular algebra.

3. What is typically covered in an abstract algebra test?

An abstract algebra test typically covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, and other related concepts. It may also include questions on abstract algebra applications and proofs.

4. How should I study for an abstract algebra test?

It is recommended to review class notes, practice solving problems, and understand the definitions and theorems in abstract algebra. It is also helpful to work through practice tests and ask for clarification from the instructor if needed.

5. Can I still make an A in abstract algebra if I struggle with math?

It is possible to make an A in abstract algebra even if you struggle with math. With dedication and effort, anyone can improve their understanding and performance in abstract algebra. Seeking help from the instructor or a tutor can also be beneficial.