DNA structures and its siblings

In summary, PNA and Morpholino are both synthetic nucleic acid analogs, with PNA having a peptide backbone and Morpholino having a ring structure similar to DNA. PNA is capable of gene silencing, inhibition of translation, and gene specific expression, while Morpholino can be used as a stable RNAi probe for gene silencing. These two approaches using synthetic nucleic acids serve different purposes in disrupting the function of regular nucleic acids.
Pattielli
I would like to ask a question about PNA and Morpholino... I am sorry, I look at their structure images but I still couldn't see anything that can be called similarities. The Morpholino has ring structure which is the same as DNA but PNA has no rings at all...

Would you please explain a little more about this for me ?

Thank you very much,

Biology news on Phys.org
Peptide nucleic acide (PNA) is a nucleic acid analog in which the sugar phosphate backbone of natural nucleic acid has been replaced by a synthetic peptide backbone usually formed from N-(2-amino-ethyl)-glycine units, resulting in an achiral and uncharged mimic.

http://people.bu.edu/hkuhn/images/FASEB_review.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
So what would be the applications of this PNA nucleic acid analog?

Gene silencing, Inhibition of translation and gene specific expression.

http://www.cell-research.com/20042/111.pdf
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=19253

Last edited by a moderator:
The molecule is able to bind to regular nucleic acids and thereby disturbs their function, what I understand from a quick look. There are also synthetic nucleic acids that look like RNA, but cannot degraded, thus stable RNAi probes can be made from those, which in turn are used for gene silencing. Apparently two different approaches with synthetic nucleic acids?

1. What is DNA and why is it important?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule found in the cells of all living organisms. It contains the genetic instructions for the development, functioning, and reproduction of an organism. This makes it crucial for the survival and diversity of all living beings.

2. What is the structure of DNA?

DNA has a double helix structure, meaning it consists of two strands twisted together. Each strand is made up of building blocks called nucleotides, which contain a sugar, a phosphate group, and one of four nitrogenous bases: adenine, thymine, guanine, and cytosine.

3. What are the siblings of DNA?

The siblings of DNA are RNA (ribonucleic acid) and ATP (adenosine triphosphate). RNA is a single-stranded molecule that plays a crucial role in protein synthesis. ATP is a molecule that provides energy for cellular processes.

4. How is DNA replicated?

DNA replication is the process by which a cell makes an exact copy of its DNA. It occurs during the cell division process and involves the separation of the two strands of DNA, followed by the synthesis of new complementary strands using the existing strands as templates.

5. Can DNA be altered or mutated?

Yes, DNA can be altered or mutated in various ways, either spontaneously or through external factors such as radiation, chemicals, or viruses. These mutations can result in changes to an organism's traits, which can have both positive and negative effects.