Troubleshooting Bibliography Issues in PDF Output

In summary: The bib file is in the same directory as the the main tex file. I am using the command:\documentclass[a4paper,twoside,11pt]{book} \usepackage{calc} \usepackage{setspace} \usepackage{graphicx} \graphicspath{{TwoBody/}{StatAn/}{OrbitalInc/}{OrbitalFam/}{Future/}{FeasandApp/}{DetectingExo/}{Conclu/}} \usepackage{amsmath} \usepackage{epstopdf} \usepackage{helvet} \ BibTeX:%\bibliographystyle{plain}
NoobixCube
Hey all,
My bibliography is not showing up in the PDF output, and I'm not sure why..
The bib file is in the same directory as the the main tex file.
I am using the command:

\documentclass[a4paper,twoside,11pt]{book}

\usepackage{calc}
\usepackage{setspace}

\usepackage{graphicx}
\graphicspath{{TwoBody/}{StatAn/}{OrbitalInc/}{OrbitalFam/}{Future/}{FeasandApp/}{DetectingExo/}{Conclu/}}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
\usepackage{helvet}
%%%%%%% Page styles %%%%%%%
\setlength{\hoffset}{-1in} \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{40mm} \setlength{\evensidemargin}{30mm}
\setlength{\textwidth}{\paperwidth-\oddsidemargin-\evensidemargin} \onehalfspacing

%%%%%%% Document starts here
\begin{document}

%whole bunch of of chapters in here that compile fine!

%%%%%%% Bibliography %%%%%%%
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{mybiblio}

\end{document}

Any help would be really really helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you run BibTeX against your document yet? A full compile cycle for a document with a BibTeX bibliography looks something like this:
Code:
latex mydocument
bibtex mydocument
latex mydocument
latex mydocument
If I recall correctly, the first invocation of latex creates mydocument.aux, which is read by BibTeX to find the appropriate bibliography style file (.bst) and the appropriate bibliographic database(s) (.bib), which it uses to produce a bibliography (.bbl). The second invocation of latex incorporates this bibliography into the output, and the third and final invocation of latex updates all of the cross references.

So what I gather is you want me to compile the document 3 times?
I am using Winedt, PDFtexify compile. Does this help.
After a number of times compiling the document, only the first BibTex reference is displayed in the final PDF (I guess it's a start) but the other reference which are cited with the document are cited as: [?]
and they do not show up in the bibliography.

Is bibtex giving you any errors? It sounds like there is a problem with your bibtext file, probably an extra } or something similar that is terminating the file early.

Try running bibtex from a DOS prompt, that way you can see any errrors more easily.

f95toli said:
Is bibtex giving you any errors? It sounds like there is a problem with your bibtext file, probably an extra } or something similar that is terminating the file early.

Try running bibtex from a DOS prompt, that way you can see any errrors more easily.
How would you go about doing that ?

I have uploaded my Bib file, hope this helps.
I had to save the file as .txt because it didn't accept .bib extension

Attachments

• mybiblio.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

1. What are the common issues that can occur when creating a bibliography in a PDF document?

Some common issues that can occur when creating a bibliography in a PDF document include missing or incorrect citations, formatting errors, and broken links.

2. How can I fix missing or incorrect citations in my bibliography?

If you are using a citation management software, make sure all of your sources are properly entered and linked to your document. If you are manually creating citations, double-check the formatting and ensure that all necessary information is included.

3. What should I do if my bibliography is not formatting correctly?

First, check the style guide or requirements for your document to make sure you are using the correct formatting. If the issue persists, you may need to adjust the settings or formatting options in your citation management software or manually edit the citations in your document.

4. Why are there broken links in my bibliography?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a change in the source's URL, a typo in the link, or an issue with the citation management software. Try to find the correct link and update it, or manually add the correct URL to the citation.

5. How can I ensure that my bibliography is accurate and complete?

Double-check your citations against the original sources and make sure all necessary information is included, such as author names, publication dates, and page numbers. You can also have someone else review your bibliography for accuracy and completeness.