Ring theory - characterizing ideals in a ring.

• Thread starter cosmic_tears
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Theory
In summary: I also found that if there exists an ideal of the form (p^k), then it must be the only ideal of that form. So, I think I'm going to need to find some examples.
cosmic_tears
Hello, and thank you VERY MUCH for reading!

Homework Statement

Let p be a prime number.
Let R= Z(p) be the ring defined as followed:
Z(p) = {x/y : gcd(y,p)=1} (notice that it's not the ring {0,1,...,p-1}!)
I need to characterize all the ideals in this ring, and all of it's quotient rings...

Homework Equations

Well, not exactly equations, but just a few defintions:
I is an ideal in R if:
1) it is a subgroup of R under addition.
2) for every a in I and r in R, a*r is in I, and r*a is in I.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already proved Z(p) is a ring (I needed to do so before this question).
I also noticed that an element x/y is invertible if and only if x is not in pZ (meaning, if and only if gcd(x,p)=1).
I know that if an Ideal cosist an invertible element then it is all of R, so I'm seeking for ideals that consist of elements x/y such that gcd(x,p)=1. However, I cannot see how to find how many ideals of this type there are, and more over - how to show that there are no other types of ideals... :-\
I'll think of quotient rings after I find the ideals...

That's it. I really appreciate the fact that you are reading this, and any response is welcomed!
Thanks, bless you, you are a great help!
Tomer.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is, I think, called the localization of the integers at the prime p. It really consists of all rational numbers whose denominator is not divisible by p.

So, what does an element look like when it is not invertible? (I think you already know about them.) Pick a prime, say 5, and look at the elements of Z(5). Write down a couple of the non invertible elements. Find relations among them.

( I would write more but that would just hand you the answer and you should think about it because it is not very difficult.)

Thanks, PatF, I realized all ideals are of the form (p^k) for a whole k.

1. What is a ring in mathematics?

A ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain axioms. Rings are used in abstract algebra to study properties of mathematical structures such as groups and fields.

2. What are the basic properties of a ring?

The basic properties of a ring include closure, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element. These properties state that the ring operations are defined for all elements, are consistent regardless of the order of operations, and follow the rules of addition and multiplication.

3. What are ideals in a ring?

Ideals in a ring are subsets that satisfy certain properties and behave like the "ideal" elements of a ring. They are closed under addition, multiplication by elements of the ring, and contain the identity element. Ideals are used to characterize properties of rings and to define quotient rings.

4. How are ideals in a ring characterized?

Ideals in a ring can be characterized by their generators, which are the elements that generate the ideal when multiplied by all possible elements in the ring. Ideals can also be characterized by their containment in other ideals, such as maximal or prime ideals, which have specific properties that make them important in ring theory.

5. What is the significance of ideals in ring theory?

Ideals play a crucial role in ring theory as they allow for the study of algebraic structures in a more general and abstract way. They provide a way to classify rings and understand their properties, and they also have applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.