Whats the sound that you hear from scratching a fork on a plate called

In summary: It would also explain why certain sounds, like nails on a chalkboard, are so universally irritating. Our brains are programmed to be on high alert when we hear them, even if they are not actually dangerous. In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of certain sounds causing uncomfortable feelings in humans, such as the sound of nails on a chalkboard. While there is no specific term for this, it is believed that these sounds may trigger a genetic memory of danger or alarm screams from our ancestors. This could explain why these sounds are universally irritating to humans.
Link
The sound is generated not exclusively by fork on a plate, but from other things such as scratching your nails against paper or sliding chalk on the blackboard. They all make you feel like your heads going to blow up. What is this phenomenon called, and how can the uncomfortable feelings generated when hearing it be explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, it's just called 'sound'. There are certain frequencies which are annoying to many people, such as the chalkboard example, but there isn't a specific term for them. It's more a matter of how your brain interprets the sound than any intrinsic quality of the sound itself.

I wonder if these sounds generate some sort of resonance in the human ear?? Something triggers "shivers" in response.

Naty1 said:
I wonder if these sounds generate some sort of resonance in the human ear?? Something triggers "shivers" in response.

It might be a 'genetic memory' effect. Perhaps those frequencies correspond to sounds made by predators in the old days.

"Whats the sound that you hear from scratching a fork on a plate called"

Irritating.

I call it "zgrzyt" :wink:

Danger said:
It might be a 'genetic memory' effect. Perhaps those frequencies correspond to sounds made by predators in the old days.

I agree. It seems reasonable to presume that saber-toothed tigers did, in fact, sound almost exactly like dinner parties. This goes hand-in-hand with my theory that Stegasauri sounded almost exactly like a Yiddish mother-in-law with gall-stones, explaining why we are petrified of both.

(Sorry Danger, just pulling your leg. After thinking about it, you might be on to something. I can't think of a better reason certain sounds would be irritating to most people.)

fleem said:
(Sorry Danger, just pulling your leg.

Never apologize to me for a witty post, even if it's a direct attack upon me (which that wasn't). Back on '05 I held the 'Humour' ribbon. I'm not all that funny any more, but I certainly appreciate a good sense of haw-haw. Feel free to belittle me to your maximum capacity. :biggrin:

I remember reading somewhere (Sciam, perhaps?) that those frequencies that send shivers down our spines were remnants of the sounds our ancestors used to signal danger of a predator. Some of the above posts suggest that they're the noises made by the predators themselves, but don't most (large) predators have deep, low frequency voices? When you think of a villain of a movie, usually a big, deep voiced, tall things come to mind. Those seem like predators. Crows and Richard Simmons don't come to mind as evil sounding.

All those sounds do sound like a pained scream, come to think of it. Its kind of sobering to think that pained screams were such an integral part of the lives of my ancestors, that it caused me to be hard-wired to become alert and troubled when I hear it.

I hadn't thought of it being an alarm scream, but that makes a lot of sense.

1. What is the sound that you hear from scratching a fork on a plate called?

The sound that you hear from scratching a fork on a plate is called screeching or screech.

2. Why does scratching a fork on a plate produce such a high-pitched sound?

The high-pitched sound produced by scratching a fork on a plate is due to the vibrations created by the friction between the metal of the fork and the ceramic or glass of the plate.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for why some people find this sound unbearable?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for why some people find the sound of scratching a fork on a plate unbearable. This sound falls within the range of frequencies that are most unpleasant to the human ear, and it can also trigger a reflex response in some individuals due to its similarity to the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard.

4. Are there any other materials or objects that produce a similar sound when scratched on a plate?

Yes, there are other materials or objects that can produce a similar sound when scratched on a plate. Some examples include metal utensils, glass cups, and ceramic dishes.

5. Can this sound be harmful to our ears?

No, the sound of scratching a fork on a plate is not harmful to our ears. While it may be unpleasant or uncomfortable, it is not loud enough or at a high enough frequency to cause any damage to our hearing.