Looking for a COMSOL or ANSYS model/tutorial (for the design) of a solenoid

In summary, the speaker has been trying to learn how to use COMSOL and ANSYS to create and model a simple solenoid. They have been successful using FEMM but would like to improve their 3D output. They are looking for a free tutorial or model to help them with this, but have not found anything substantial through their search. Another person suggests a minitutorial for COMSOL found at a specific website.
rsr_life
Hello,

I've been attempting to learn how to use COMSOL and ANSYS to create and model a simple solenoid (iron core, 1000 turns of 26 AWG Cu wire, 1 Amp, 0 Hz etc), ever since I realized my Department always had a license to both packages :uhh:.

I've done this using FEMM, and fairly well, but I'd like to get a good 3D output both for visualization and for the actual numbers. If this works, I would most likely extend the model to something a great deal more complicated. I just don't have the foothold, though.

Does somebody here know how to do this? That is, is there a usable COMSOL or ANSYS model (or the like) on the web somewhere that I can play with for free? This, alongside a step-by-step tutorial, maybe from some University, would do perfectly.

It seems that it should be simple to design and simulate a solenoid in one of these two packages, but search as I might, nothing substantial has turned up in either Bing or Google.

Would appreciate your help and your curiosity,

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
ANSYS has a tutorial in it's help manual for this.

Thanks
Matt

Just to close this thread for future visitors:

http://water.stanford.edu/GP200/files_2005/COMSOL_DC_heat.pdf

This is a minitutorial for comsol.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a solenoid and what is its purpose?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in various electronic devices such as motors, relays, and speakers.

2. How do I find a COMSOL or ANSYS model/tutorial for a solenoid?

You can search for a COMSOL or ANSYS model or tutorial for a solenoid on their respective websites or online forums. You can also consult with other researchers or experts in the field for recommendations.

3. Are there any specific parameters or variables that I should consider when designing a solenoid using COMSOL or ANSYS?

Yes, there are several parameters and variables that should be considered when designing a solenoid using COMSOL or ANSYS. Some important ones include the number of turns in the coil, the diameter and length of the coil, the material properties of the wire, and the applied voltage.

4. Can I use a pre-built solenoid model in COMSOL or ANSYS for my specific design?

While there may be pre-built solenoid models available in COMSOL or ANSYS, it is important to note that they may not be suitable for your specific design. It is recommended to use these models as a starting point and make necessary adjustments to fit your design requirements.

5. Are there any online resources or tutorials that can help me learn how to design a solenoid using COMSOL or ANSYS?

Yes, there are several online resources and tutorials available that can help you learn how to design a solenoid using COMSOL or ANSYS. Some examples include the official COMSOL and ANSYS websites, online forums, and YouTube channels of experts in the field.