My Trip to Mozambique: Photos from Mangunde Mission & Buzi River Crossing

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary: They get passed down as a kind of inheritance too. So if a guy wants to sell you a coconut, he just makes sure he's climbing one of his own trees and you pay him about 10000-20000 meticas (probably about 20 euro cents or something) and he'll climb a tree, chop out a coconut and open and skin it for you with his machete, niiice :)Wow, car sickness, flu, and you still managed to take photos. Love the one of the tree, it seems each Baobab has it's own personality. Nice to have you home safe.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'll start the much requested thread about my trip to Mozambique.

So far, I've only gotten a few photos online, but these are the pretty ones. These are from the trip we took to the mission in Mangunde, where there's a health clinic located. The scenery along the drive was beautiful. I'd have taken more photos if I wasn't carsick and focusing all my concentration on trying not to puke. The trip was on the sorts of roads where you keep your seatbelt on just to prevent yourself from hitting your head on the roof as you bounce over bumps. I wish I had just taken a photo of the road at some point. It's more suited for motocross than a weekend drive!

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/hjb1025/Mozambique/?albumview=slideshow

These are mostly taken when we were crossing the Buzi River (when I was thankfully able to get out of the truck and restore my complexion to something other than green). What you see in the second photo in the slideshow is what I saw as the person driving stated, "Now we see if we can cross the river today." :bugeye:

We were essentially following the river for the rest of the trip. He was kind enough not to mention the crocodiles that like to sun along the shallow parts of the river until after we had crossed it.

In the next episode, I'll share the photos at the clinic itself...be prepared to be horrified!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mentioned you came back sick, are you feeling better?

That picture in the photo contest was great!

Likes gracy
Yes, I'm better. Thanks for asking. I was sick on the way there, and again the way back. What I thought was a minor cold compounded by vaccinations and jet lag was actually more likely flu. Everyone else I work with had flu while I was gone, but how would I know when I was also jetlagged and all the vaccinations I got had potential side effects like fever, muscle aches and headache? Of course, not realizing that wasn't all due to vaccinations and jet lag, I didn't even consider getting tested. Though, if that WAS the swine flu, there's really nothing to worry about...people will feel jetlagged for about a week...mildest flu I ever had. At least it's out of the way before students return to campus, which is when "they" are predicting a second wave of flu will hit.

On the way back, I had picked up one of the food-borne or water-borne illnesses in spite of following every instruction I was given to avoid it (now I wish I had just ignored the instructions and enjoyed some of the foods I avoided and really wanted to try, since I got sick anyway). That made for a miserable flight back (at least I was sitting next to a REALLY tall person who wasn't comfortable enough to sleep at all, so he could keep letting me out to use the lavatory on the flight), but then at least the rest of my recovery from that was in the comfort of my own home. I think I was sick about 4 days from that (at least I kept up my appetite the entire time, so didn't get dehydrated...actually, I was eating voraciously...I think I might have been vitamin deficient from a lack of vegetables...restaurants there don't seem to serve vegetables), and then a few more days just to recover from being all wrung out. Just as I got better, Ember got sick with a urinary tract infection (probably from all the stress of being left in the care of sitters who didn't give her her food on her usual schedule...poor baby).

So, now we're BOTH all better.

The pics look like are from a documentary on a discovery channel. Glad you feel better. Also I returned from a small vacation and got a flu, it might be swine I don't know.

What were you doing in this part of the world?

A bit of trivia: everyone that is born in mozambique gets a coconut tree. That's what one of the locals told me when i was there. They get passed down as a kind of inheritance too. So if a guy wants to sell you a coconut, he just makes sure he's climbing one of his own trees and you pay him about 10000-20000 meticas (probably about 20 euro cents or something) and he'll climb a tree, chop out a coconut and open and skin it for you with his machete, niiice :)

Wow, car sickness, flu, and you still managed to take photos. Love the one of the tree, it seems each Baobab has it's own personality. Nice to have you home safe.

redargon said:
A bit of trivia: everyone that is born in mozambique gets a coconut tree. That's what one of the locals told me when i was there. They get passed down as a kind of inheritance too. So if a guy wants to sell you a coconut, he just makes sure he's climbing one of his own trees and you pay him about 10000-20000 meticas (probably about 20 euro cents or something) and he'll climb a tree, chop out a coconut and open and skin it for you with his machete, niiice :)

Um, I think you've been had. There weren't THAT many coconut trees, and certainly most people did not have ownership of one. And a 10000 meticais coconut better taste good. That would be almost $400 (I don't know what the current Euro conversion rate is).

And, yes, hypatia, it's amazing how very unique each baobab tree is.

Thanks for sharing.

That tree is amazing. I've seen some of these transplanted to San Francisco... but they're pathetic compared to that one!

Glad you're back safe and (now) sound Moonbear!

I've got my comfy jammies on and a bowl of popcorn at the ready just waiting for more stories. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Um, I think you've been had. There weren't THAT many coconut trees, and certainly most people did not have ownership of one. And a 10000 meticais coconut better taste good. That would be almost $400 (I don't know what the current Euro conversion rate is).

And, yes, hypatia, it's amazing how very unique each baobab tree is.

Yeah, I just read that they corrected their currency due to the attrocious inflation. It was mulitplied by a thousand to bring it back on track. When I was there in '98 or '99, it was before the change (in 2001, apparently).

The coconut tree story was probably just a myth, but i liked it 'cos we had a cocunut tree stump outside our bungalow and i woke up every morning and thought, "poor bastard who got that one" :)

My girlfriend had the swine flu, she couldn't move for a week. Temperature of 40°.

I'll admit the baobob tree was cool, but you've got to have better pictures than the rest of those to share. We've all seen muddy water before. Where's the wildlife? Give us something that proves you actually left the country.

Where'd the stories go? :biggrin:

Just so you know, Moonie, because I found out the hard way, when you are using Photobucket's slideshows? You don't have to resize the photos. The slideshow does it for you. I'm not kidding. I started out resizing to create one and then, for reasons unknown (likely laziness or fatigue) I tried just straight uploading and adding to the slideshow. It worked perfectly.

Thanks G...that tip might get the photos posted a lot faster. More updates are awaiting me getting a break from insanity. Classes started this week...actually, one started last week, but that was just an hour requiring no prepping on my part. And, we've been short two faculty this week, one out very sick, and the other back in Africa (it's a meeting for everyone who got these grants that funded us...my collaborator went and I stayed to cover classes...I got the better end of the deal I think).

1. What is the significance of Mangunde Mission in Mozambique?

Mangunde Mission is a Christian mission located in Mozambique that serves as a hub for various social services, including education, healthcare, and community development. It was established in 1893 and has been instrumental in promoting sustainable development in the region.

2. What is the Buzi River and why is it important?

The Buzi River is a major river in Mozambique that flows through the central part of the country. It is an important source of water for agricultural irrigation and supports the livelihoods of many communities along its banks. However, it is also prone to flooding, causing significant damage to the surrounding areas.

3. What type of photos can be seen from Mangunde Mission and the Buzi River crossing?

The photos from Mangunde Mission and the Buzi River crossing showcase the beautiful landscapes and scenery of Mozambique, as well as the people, culture, and daily life in the area. Some common photo subjects include the mission buildings, local markets, traditional ceremonies, and the river itself.

4. How can I prepare for a trip to Mozambique?

Before traveling to Mozambique, it is important to research the country's culture, customs, and safety precautions. It is also recommended to get necessary vaccinations and obtain a visa, if required. Additionally, make sure to pack appropriate clothing and supplies for the trip, and have a basic understanding of the local language.

5. What are some must-see attractions in Mozambique?

In addition to Mangunde Mission and the Buzi River, some other popular destinations in Mozambique include the capital city of Maputo, the beautiful beaches of Tofo and Vilankulo, and the Gorongosa National Park. Other popular activities include scuba diving, snorkeling, and exploring the country's rich cultural and historical sites.