Explaining F=BIl and F=Bqv for Many Charges

In summary, the equations F = BIl and F = Bqv are equivalent forms of the Lorentz Force Law, where the force (F) is equal to the cross product of the current (I) and magnetic field (B), or the charge (q), velocity (v), and magnetic field (B). This means that the force, current, and velocity are all perpendicular to the magnetic field.
poojarao
Speed = distance/time and current = charge/time. Explain how F=BIl is actually the same equation as F= Bqv but considered for many charges in a group?

can someone please explain with working out please?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets say that you had a wire with a length l. Let's say that traveling through that length is a net charge q, with an average velocity of v. v = distance/time, in which in this case, v = l/t. The current is I = charge/time = q/t. Therefore, F = B*q*(l/t) = B*(q/t)*l = BIl.

thanks a lot!

For clarity, these two equations (part of the Lorentz Force Law) are written as

F = l(I x B) = q(v x B)

where x indicates the cross product. meaning that the vectors F,I and B; or F,v,and B are all mutually orthogonal.

The I/v vectors need not be orthogonal with the B vector.

What is F=BIl and F=Bqv for Many Charges?

F=BIl and F=Bqv for Many Charges are two equations that describe the relationship between the magnetic force (F) acting on a charged particle and the magnetic field (B) and the motion of the particle. These equations are commonly used in electromagnetism and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

What does the "F" represent in these equations?

In both equations, "F" represents the magnetic force acting on a charged particle. This force is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field it is moving through.

What do "B", "I", "l", and "q" stand for in these equations?

"B" represents the magnetic field, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic force. "I" and "l" represent the current and length of a conductor, respectively, in the F=BIl equation. "q" represents the charge of the particle in the F=Bqv equation.

How do these equations explain the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field?

According to the equations, the magnetic force acting on a charged particle is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the magnitude of the particle's velocity or current. This means that the greater the magnetic field or the faster the particle is moving, the stronger the force will be. Additionally, the direction of the force is determined by the cross product of the velocity/current and the magnetic field vectors.

Can these equations be used for multiple charged particles?

Yes, these equations can be used for multiple charged particles as long as the appropriate values for "B", "I", "l", and "q" are used for each particle. This is because the equations take into account the individual properties of each charged particle, such as its charge and velocity, to calculate the magnetic force acting on it.