Forces to crack a pouch after a fall

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces that a pouch (balloon) creates on the inside walls when it falls and hits the floor. It is mentioned that a pouch with one litre of water falls from 1 meter and produces a force equivalent to 9.8 J. The question is raised about the force needed for the walls to crack, and the effects of dynamic forces and stress concentrations on the balloon material are mentioned. The topic of pressure testing and calculating hydraulic pressure is also brought up.
rah
Hi

I have a question I need help with.

Im trying to find out how much forces that a pouch (balloon) creates on the inside walls when it hits the floor after a fall.

A pouch (balloon) with one litre of water falls from 1 meter down to the floor.

How much force must the "walls" stand before they crack?

I have tryed to put a known force on top of the pouch and it stands quite a lot.
But when I drop it on the floor it cracks "a lot easier".

R

Physics news on Phys.org
rah said:
A pouch (balloon) with one litre of water falls from 1 meter down to the floor.

How much force must the "walls" stand before they crack?

I have tryed to put a known force on top of the pouch and it stands quite a lot.
But when I drop it on the floor it cracks "a lot easier".
1 l of water = 1 kg and 1 m, mgh = 1 kg * 9.81 m/s2 * 1 m = 9.81 J.

Does the static force on top of the balloon apply a for equivalent to 9.8 J?

There are dynamic effects and stress concentrations that play a role. When the balloon drops there is a strain rate effect as well as a non-uniformity in the stress field that can cause the balloon material to tear. Some of the stress non-uniformity will arise from friction between the balloon and impact surface, as well as non-uniformity in the wall of the balloon.

Thank you for your quick reply.

If I understood you right the force that the balloon hits the floor with is 9,8J or Newton.

The force I use when I pressure test the pouch is 2000N and the pouch doesent have any sign of cracking.

Is it possible to calculate the pressure the water creates on the walls. Is that hydraulic pressure?

R

rah said:
Thank you for your quick reply.

If I understood you right the force that the balloon hits the floor with is 9,8J or Newton.

The force I use when I pressure test the pouch is 2000N and the pouch doesent have any sign of cracking.

Is it possible to calculate the pressure the water creates on the walls. Is that hydraulic pressure?

R
When the balloon drops, the gavitational potential energy converts to kinetic energy until the balloon hits the floor (9.8 J). When the balloon hits the floor, the force is determined by the impulse relationship, but it's complicated since the balloon is not rigid. The water deforms as it collapses and the balloon is pushed out sideways (radially) - and there is probably an acoustic/shock wave reverberating through the water.

1. How does the force of a fall affect the likelihood of a pouch cracking?

The force of a fall can greatly impact the likelihood of a pouch cracking. The higher the force of impact, the greater the chance of the pouch cracking. This is because the force of the fall puts pressure on the pouch, causing it to weaken and potentially break.

2. Are there any factors that can increase the likelihood of a pouch cracking after a fall?

Yes, there are several factors that can increase the likelihood of a pouch cracking after a fall. These include the height of the fall, the material and construction of the pouch, and the weight and shape of the object inside the pouch. Additionally, the surface on which the pouch falls can also play a role.

3. Can a pouch be designed to withstand high forces and prevent cracking after a fall?

Yes, pouches can be designed with specific materials and construction methods to increase their durability and resistance to cracking after a fall. This can include using thicker and stronger materials, reinforcing stress points, and incorporating cushioning or shock-absorbing features.

4. Is there a standard force or impact test for pouches to determine their strength?

Yes, there are various standard tests and protocols that can be used to measure the strength and durability of pouches. These include drop tests, compression tests, and impact resistance tests. The results of these tests can help determine the level of force a pouch can withstand before cracking or breaking.

5. How can I ensure that my pouch is safe for carrying objects after a fall?

To ensure the safety and integrity of a pouch after a fall, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the pouch. This includes checking for any signs of wear or damage, such as tears, holes, or weak spots. It is also important to follow weight and capacity guidelines for the pouch and to avoid dropping or subjecting it to excessive force.