Will the Voltage Split Equally Between Two Different Sized Electrodes?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the situation of two electrodes, one twice the size of the other, connected to a voltage generator to obtain a voltage difference of 100V between them. The question is whether the voltage will be split symmetrically between the electrodes. The argument is that due to the equal amounts of opposite charges on each electrode, the potential difference with respect to ground must be the same. The capacitance of each electrode is also mentioned, with the conclusion that the smaller electrode will have a higher surface charge density and electric field. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of the "paint" program for sketching and measuring capacitance in a system without symmetry.
Fmhood
I have been thinking about the following situation, without getting the physical understandig straight:

Two electrodes, one twice the size (area) of the other, are connected to a voltage generator to obtain a voltage difference of 100V between the electrodes. The question is if the voltage will be split symmetrically between the electrodes? (i.e. is the voltage difference between each electrode and ground the same?).

My argumentation goes as follows: The voltage generator makes sure that the electrodes have opposite charges in equal amounts. This means that the large electrode will have half the charge density compared to small electrode. The potential of the electrode is however a superposition of the potential of each charge. Since the product, charge density times "size" is the same for both electrodes, their potential difference with respect to ground must be the same.

Am I making a mistake here?

thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Say the surface area of electrode E1 is 2x area of E2.
Assuming that the same ratio also applies for the capacitances of both electrodes wrt Earth then you could make an equivalent circuit with 2 capacitors in series connected to 100V. The potential of E1 wrt Earth is then 33V and that of E2 is 67V. So for the same charge the lower capacitance has the higher voltage.

As long as a 100V source is connected across the electrodes, the difference in potential is 100V.

The definition of potential is the work W required to move a positive test charge q+ from one equipotential surface to another. Where q+ = e is the elemental charge.

V2 - V1 = dW/q+

You have defined V2-V1 = 100 by inserting a voltage source. If the plates are perfect conductors they will always have a difference of 100V regardless of where you place the ground.

Fmhood said:
their potential difference with respect to ground must be the same.

Am I making a mistake here?

thanks...

I thought this was the question?

Sketch attached of my understanding of the question. Choice of ground node is arbitrary. There is an E-field in the gap between the plates which may or may not be a linear function from 0 to 100V.

Attachments

• 100vsketch.png
    100vsketch.png
    805 bytes · Views: 422
Thanks for the answers.

My apologies for not stating the question clearly. I was thinking of the situation that Per Oni is referring to. In light if the capacitance of the electrodes, it makes sense that equal amount of charge corresponds to different potentials when the capatitances are different (if area is linearly dependent with capacitance).

However whether a voltage generator actually is constructed the way SystemTheory has sketched it, is a relevant. If I understand it right, then if one electrode is grounded, the potential of the electrodes will be 0V and 100V, respectively, no matter the size of the electrodes... ?

Fmhood said:
However whether a voltage generator actually is constructed the way SystemTheory has sketched it, is a relevant. If I understand it right, then if one electrode is grounded, the potential of the electrodes will be 0V and 100V, respectively, no matter the size of the electrodes... ?
Yes, in that case that is their potential wrt ground.

System Theory can you tell us how to generate and print those pictures?

I use the "paint" program in the Windows accessories folder under the Start menu. The tools are sufficient for making a quick rough sketch with some practice. Use black and white and Save As *.png or *.gif seems to produce a small file size for resource economy.

The capacitance of a system without symmetry is typically measured rather than calculated. I think you are correct that the surface charge density will be greater on the smaller plate.

SystemTheory said:
I use the "paint" program in the Windows accessories folder under the Start menu. The tools are sufficient for making a quick rough sketch with some practice. Use black and white and Save As *.png or *.gif seems to produce a small file size for resource economy.
Thanks. I'll try sometime.
The capacitance of a system without symmetry is typically measured rather than calculated. I think you are correct that the surface charge density will be greater on the smaller plate.
With your picture in mind and with Q the same on both surfaces then surface density D=Q/A which means that D is higher for the smaller surface. Since field E=D/epsilon zero also E is higher for the smaller surface, something which becomes clear when you draw the field lines.

What is the potential of an electrode?

The potential of an electrode is the measure of the electrical potential difference between the electrode and the surrounding solution. It is a measure of the ability of the electrode to release or accept electrons.

How is the potential of an electrode determined?

The potential of an electrode can be determined by measuring the voltage between the electrode and a reference electrode in a solution. This is known as the standard electrode potential.

What factors affect the potential of an electrode?

The potential of an electrode can be affected by several factors including the nature of the electrode material, the concentration of ions in the solution, and the temperature of the solution. Other factors such as pH and the presence of impurities can also affect the potential.

What is the difference between anode and cathode potential?

Anode potential refers to the potential of an electrode where oxidation occurs, while cathode potential refers to the potential of an electrode where reduction occurs. Anode potential is typically positive, while cathode potential is typically negative.

What is the significance of electrode potential in electrochemical reactions?

Electrode potential is a crucial factor in determining the direction and rate of electrochemical reactions. It allows us to predict the feasibility and direction of a reaction, as well as the amount of energy required to drive the reaction.