Deriving Joint Distribution Function from Joint Density (check my working pls)

In summary: I see, I see. I really appreciate your help, but I thought you would have been tired of me by now!The joint density is f(x,y) = x + y, for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1. And f(x,y) = 0, otherwise. This is what I was given. In my course, we are supposed to find the joint distribution function, F(x,y), by finding the double integral of f(x,y).F(x,y) = P(X <= x, Y <= y) = \int_{-\infty}^y \int_{-\infty}^x \! f(u,v) \, du dv = \int_{-\infty}
Legendre

Homework Statement

Given:

f(x,y) = x + y, for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1
f(x,y) = 0, otherwise

Derive the joint distribution function of X and Y.

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the definition, I obtained part of the joint distribution F(x,y) = (1/2)(xy)(x+y) for 0<x<1, 0<y<1. Leaving out the working for this as it is pretty standard. I am not sure if my next step is correct and so is hoping you guys can help check my logic...

1) F(x,y) has to be defined for all (x,y) in R^2. So I have to consider all possible points. Correct?

2) When 0<x<1 and y > or = 1, F(x,y) = left limit of F(x,y) as y tend to 1 = F(x,1) = (1/2)(x)(x+1)? I am guessing that values of y above 1 do not affect the joint distribution F(x,y) so it takes the same value as its left limit at the "boundary" of possible y values?

3) By symmetry, when x > or = 1 and 0<y<1, F(x,y) = (1/2)(y)(y+1).

4) Finally, for x > or = 1 and y > or = 1, F(x,y) = 1. And F(x,y) = 0 for all other values.

Phew. I am most concern about step 2). The rest were included for completeness. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Making it shorter because I think the length is the reason why there are no replies...

f(x,y) = x + y, for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1
f(x,y) = 0, otherwise

f = joint density. we want the joint distribution function, F.

I only require asistance in verifying my logic for the expression for F over { 0<x<1 and y > or = 1} = B. I think that over region B, F(x,y) = left limit of F(x,y) as y tend to 1. Is this correct?

Thanks!

i think its because the question isn't very clear - I'm not exactly sure what you mean by joint distribution function?

the way I read your description, you have 2 dependent random vairbales X & Y, whose joint distribution function is:
[itex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = x + y [/itex] , for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1
[itex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = 0 [/itex] , otherwise

Do you mean joint cumulative distribution function? defined by:
[itex] F_{X,Y}(x,y) = P(X\leq x, Y\leq y) [/itex]

I haven't looked at those much, but if so I would start by settting up an integral... start by looking at the area defined by your constraints...

Last edited:
if this is the case, the bounding bahviour of F as x (y) respectively go to 1 will be the marginal cumulative distributions of Y (X)

lanedance said:
i think its because the question isn't very clear - I'm not exactly sure what you mean by joint distribution function?

the way I read your description, you have 2 dependent random vairbales X & Y, whose joint distribution function is:
[itex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = x + y [/itex] , for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1
[itex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = 0 [/itex] , otherwise

Do you mean joint cumulative distribution function? defined by:
[itex] F_{X,Y}(x,y) = P(X\leq x, Y\leq y) [/itex]

I haven't looked at those much, but if so I would start by settting up an integral... start by looking at the area defined by your constraints...

Oops, sorry! I forgot to adjust for notation differences. In my course, they call the joint cumulative distribution function the distribution function and etc. But YES, what you laid out was precisely the question I require assistance on.

I think I am fine with 90% of the working required for this question. Just a small part that I am not sure about:

What is F(x,y) over the area { 0 < x < 1 and y > or = 1 } ?

The double integral of f(x,y) that gives F(x,y) over 0 < x < 1 and 0 < y < 1 is (1/2)(xy)(x+y). The book I am using says for the area I am asking about, all we do is to find F(x,1). So it is saying that (1/2)(x)(x+1) is the answer to my question in bold.

But it doesn't explain why. I am guessing we are taking the limit of F(x,y) as y tend to 1 from the left? (i.e. " left limit of F(x,y) as y tend to 1")

remember F(x,y) = P(X<=x, Y<=y)

so for y>=1 F(x, y) will just reduce to the marginal cumulative distribution for x as P(Y<=1) = 1

if you set up the integral it should be more clear

lanedance said:
remember F(x,y) = P(X<=x, Y<=y)

so for y>=1 F(x, y) will just reduce to the marginal cumulative distribution for x as P(Y<=1) = 1

if you set up the integral it should be more clear

Oh...I see. Thanks a lot man, you saved my *** several times on questions related to probability! Setting up the integral...?

f(x,y) is defined for {0<x<1,0<y<1}

by definition,[tex] F(x,y) = \int_{-\infty}^y \int_{-\infty}^x \! f(u,v) \, du dv [/tex]

[tex] F(x,y) = \int_{0}^y \int_{0}^x \! f(x,y) \, dx dy [/tex]Right? But the result only works for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1? OR have I specified the limits wrongly?

But...I go the answer I was looking for : for the region {0<x<1,y>or=1}, F(x,y) = cumulative distribution of x. Thanks!EDIT: Corrected terrible mistake with the double integral.

Last edited:
Legendre said:
Oh...I see. Thanks a lot man, you saved my *** several times on questions related to probability! Setting up the integral...?

f(x,y) is defined for {0<x<1,0<y<1}

by definition,

[tex] F(x,y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x,y) \, dx dy [/tex]

[tex] F(x,y) = \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \! f(x,y) \, dx dy [/tex]

Right? But the result only works for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1? OR have I specified the limits wrongly?

But...I go the answer I was looking for : for the region {0<x<1,y>or=1}, F(x,y) = cumulative distribution of x. Thanks!

no worries - but be careful, x and y have a depndency, so its actually the marginal distribution of x see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_distribution

your integral is not quiet right either, note
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x,y) dx dy
= \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1} f(x,y) dx dy = P(X\leq 1, Y \leq 1) = 1 [/tex]

so have another think about the reigion of itegration to evaluate [itex] F_{X,Y}(x,y)= P(X\leq x, Y \leq x) [/itex]

OMG terrible terrible mistake there. Not sure what I was thinking at the time of posting!

Suppose to be:[tex] F(x,y) = \int_{-\infty}^y \int_{-\infty}^x \! f(u,v) \, du dv [/tex]

[tex] F(x,y) = \int_{0}^y \int_{0}^x \! f(u,v) \, du dv [/tex]But the 2nd expression for F(x,y) only holds for the region {0<x<1,0<y<1} right? Beyond that, its either 0 or the respective marginal distribution?

1. What is a joint density function?

A joint density function is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of two or more random variables. It can be used to calculate the probability of a certain combination of values occurring for the variables.

2. How is a joint density function related to a joint distribution function?

A joint distribution function is the integral of the joint density function. It represents the probability of the variables falling within a certain range of values. It is the cumulative distribution function of the joint density function.

3. What is the process for deriving a joint distribution function from a joint density function?

The process involves taking the integral of the joint density function with respect to all variables except for one. This will result in a function of that one variable, which can then be used to calculate the probability of the variable falling within a certain range. This process is repeated for each variable to obtain the full joint distribution function.

4. Why is it important to check your working when deriving a joint distribution function from a joint density function?

Checking your working is important to ensure that the derived joint distribution function is accurate and follows proper mathematical principles. It can also help identify any potential errors or mistakes in the calculations.

5. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when deriving a joint distribution function from a joint density function?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to take the integral, using incorrect limits of integration, and not properly handling any constants or coefficients in the joint density function. It is also important to make sure the final joint distribution function is valid and follows the appropriate mathematical rules.