Help, using Truth Table prove that the following logic statement is a Tautology

In summary, to show that p ∧ (p → q) → q is a tautology, a truth table can be set up with columns for p, q, and p → q, and a final column for p ∧ (p → q) → q with all four values being T. The order of the rows in the truth table does not matter, but it is usually presented with the top row being T T ... and the bottom row being F F ...
Tek1Atom

Homework Statement

By providing a truth table, show that the following logic statement is a tautology:

p ∧ (p → q) → qAny help will be much appreciated.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
I would set up a truth table with columns for p, q, and p ==> q. You know how many rows you need, right?

p | q | P → q
-------------
T | T | T
T | F | F
F | T | T
F | F | T

Thank you Mark44 but I don't think this is the correct answer/method as the output has to be true in all cases in order for it to be labeled a tautology. Any other suggestions?

You are missing at least one column, multiple columns if you want to break things down.

D H could you give me an example please as I am new to logic...

You have the truth table for implication. p→q obviously is not a tautology. You weren't asked to show that. You were asked to show that p∧(p→q)→q is a tautology. Your truth table needs to end with a p∧(p→q)→q column on the right and with all four values in this column being T.

Thank you DH, that was very helpful. My final question is, does it matter which way we write down the truth table?

e.g.

which one is correct?

p | q | P → q | p∧(p→q)→q
---------------------------
T | T | T | T
T | F | F | T
F | T | T | T
F | F | T | T

OR

F | F | T | T
F | T | T | T
T | F | F | T
T | T | T | T

You aren't going to get points for that. At least I hope you aren't. There is a thing called showing your work.

Tek1Atom said:
Thank you DH, that was very helpful. My final question is, does it matter which way we write down the truth table?

e.g.

which one is correct?

T | T | T | T
T | F | F | T
F | T | T | T
F | F | T | T

OR

F | F | T | T
F | T | T | T
T | F | F | T
T | T | T | T

To answer your question about the order, it doesn't really matter, but these are usually presented with the top row being T T ... and the bottom row being F F ...

Thank You Mark44. You have been great!

1. What is a Tautology?

A Tautology is a logical statement that is always true, regardless of the truth values of its individual components or variables.

2. How do you use a Truth Table to prove a statement is a Tautology?

To prove a statement is a Tautology using a Truth Table, you must construct a table that lists all possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the statement and then evaluate the statement for each combination. If the statement is true for every possible combination, it is a Tautology.

3. Can a statement be both a Tautology and a Contradiction?

No, a statement cannot be both a Tautology and a Contradiction. A Tautology is always true, while a Contradiction is always false. A statement must be one or the other, not both.

4. What are some examples of Tautologies?

Some examples of Tautologies include "A or not A", "If it is raining, then it is wet", and "All squares have four sides". These statements are always true regardless of the truth values of their components.

5. Why is it important to prove a statement is a Tautology?

Proving a statement is a Tautology is important because it allows us to establish the validity and certainty of the statement. It also helps us to identify and eliminate potential errors or inconsistencies in our reasoning or arguments.