Second Order Linear Differential Equation Question

In summary, the given conversation is about solving an IVP with the equation \frac{1}{4}y'' + 16y = 0 and finding the specific solution using the given initial conditions. One mistake was made in calculating the characteristic equation, resulting in a different general solution than the given answer. After correcting the mistake, the correct general solution is \lambda^2 + 64 = 0 and the specific solution is y(t) = A + B*e^(-64t), where A and B are constants to be determined by the initial conditions.
VeganGirl

Homework Statement

Solve the IVP, [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]y'' + 16y = 0
y(0)=[tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
y'(0)=0

Answer is given... y(t) = [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]cos 8t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This has the characteristic equation [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] [tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 +16[tex]\lambda[/tex]=0
Solving for lambda, I got [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 0 or -64

Therefore y(t) = A*e^(0t) + B*e^(-64t) for some constants A and B
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] y(t) = A + B*e^(-64t)

I know that I'll have to impose the initial conditions to get the specific solution, but my general solution is very different from the answer given. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
VeganGirl said:

This has the characteristic equation [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] [tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 +16[tex]\lambda[/tex]=0

This part is wrong. If you use the solution y =ert, your equation will be

(1/4)r2+16=0

which will give you complex roots.

VeganGirl said:

Homework Statement

Solve the IVP, [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]y'' + 16y = 0
y(0)=[tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
y'(0)=0

Answer is given... y(t) = [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]cos 8t

Homework Equations

No, the characteristic equation is
[tex]\frac{1}{4}\lambda^2 +16 = 0[/tex]

or, equivalently,
[tex]\lambda^2 +64 = 0[/tex]

VeganGirl said:
Solving for lambda, I got [tex]\lambda[/tex]= 0 or -64

Therefore y(t) = A*e^(0t) + B*e^(-64t) for some constants A and B
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] y(t) = A + B*e^(-64t)

I know that I'll have to impose the initial conditions to get the specific solution, but my general solution is very different from the answer given. What am I doing wrong?

Ohhh that's where I went wrong. Thanks guys!

What is a second order linear differential equation?

A second order linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the differentiation of a function with respect to an independent variable, where the function is multiplied by a polynomial of degree two and its derivatives.

What is the general form of a second order linear differential equation?

The general form of a second order linear differential equation is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and p(x) and q(x) are continuous functions of x.

What methods can be used to solve a second order linear differential equation?

Some common methods for solving second order linear differential equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order.

What are the initial conditions for a second order linear differential equation?

The initial conditions for a second order linear differential equation typically involve specifying the values of the dependent variable y and its first derivative y' at a given point x = x0.

What are some real-world applications of second order linear differential equations?

Second order linear differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical systems, such as oscillating springs, electrical circuits, and vibrating strings. They are also used in economics and population dynamics to study growth and decay processes.