Question about second order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a solution for the equation y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0, where the graph of one solution must be tangent to the x-axis in a certain interval. The conversation then goes on to discuss using the general expression for the solution and considering y'=0, but ultimately concludes that the uniqueness theorem for the initial value problem proves that the solution must be identically zero.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I have this problem, which says: If the graph of one solution for the equation [tex]y''+P(x)y'+Q(x)y=0[/tex] is tangent to the x-axis in some point of an interval [a,b], then that solution must be identically zero. Why?

I've tried to do something with the general expression for the solution.

[tex]y(x)=Ay_1(x)+By_1(x)\int \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1^2(x)}dx \Rightarrow y'(x)=Ay_1'(x)+By_1'(x)\int \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1^2(x)}dx +By_1(x)\displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1^2(x)}[/tex]

So I've considered y'(x)=0, because y(x) must be tangent to the x axis.
[tex]0=Ay_1'(x)+By_1'(x)\int \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1^2(x)}dx +B \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1(x)}\Rightarrow y_1'\left( A+B \int \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1^2(x)}dx \right) =-B \displaystyle \frac{e^{\int -P(x)dx}}{y_1(x)} [/tex]

So, I don't know what to do next. I think this is not the right way.Damn, I think I got it.
y(x_0)=0, it touches the x axis
y'(x_0)=0

Thats all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
Damn, I think I got it.
y(x_0)=0, it touches the x axis
y'(x_0)=0

Thats all?

Yes. By the uniqueness theorem for the initial value problem. Both y identically 0 and your supposed solution satisfy that IVP so they are the same.

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of an unknown function. It is typically used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is y'' = f(x,y,y'), where y is the unknown function, x is the independent variable, and f is a function that relates the second derivative of y to x, y, and the first derivative of y.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

The method for solving a second order differential equation depends on the specific equation. In general, there are several techniques that can be used, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. It is also important to check for initial or boundary conditions to determine if a unique solution exists.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering. Some common applications include modeling the motion of objects under the influence of forces, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing heat transfer in materials.

What are the differences between first and second order differential equations?

The main difference between first and second order differential equations is the number of derivatives involved. A first order differential equation involves only the first derivative of the unknown function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative. This leads to different methods for solving them and different applications in science and engineering.