Active Teachers and PhD Programs in Physics Education

In summary, the participants in the conversation include active teachers at various levels, including high school, community college, and university. They have experience in subjects such as physics, math, music, computer science, and engineering, and some are currently pursuing higher education in fields related to teaching and education. They also have experience teaching at different levels, from elementary school to graduate students. Some have backgrounds in industry and have transitioned into teaching, while others have been teaching for many years. There is also a mention of a parent who teaches their own children and may be helping with a Science Olympiad team. They provide recommendations for schools with strong physics education programs for pursuing a doctorate.
Birkeland
Seeing how dead the educators and teaching forum is, I was just wondering how many active members of the forums are current teachers, and what level?

I am currently a high school physics teacher, with some experience as a class TA during undergrad. I am starting on a master in science education, and want to find a doctoral program in physics education with the eventual goal of start a physics education program at a university.

Anyone else?

Science news on Phys.org
High school math/music teacher here. Certified in math, but not in music. (I teach at a private school where certification is encouraged but not required.) I had thought of teaching math at a community college, but I don't have a master's in math. I have no desire to get a PhD in any subject. ;)

I'm University faculty (Physics department) and I participate in the local UTeach program on the side.

I don't teach (anymore), but I do supervise graduate students and teach them "experimental skills" and how to be a physicist.

Zz.

I am currently a lecturer at a large state flagship (in its Department of Physics and Astronomy), but (in a previous "life") I taught high school physics and chemistry.

I also teach our kids (ages 2, 12 and 18) stuff all the time (what parent doesn't?).. and I think I'm going to get roped into working with our middle school son's Science Olympiad team. He really connected with his science teacher this past year (the first ever male teacher he had, finally!) so he thus decided to be on the team this coming year since that teacher is one of coaches... and unfortunately I was used as additional "bait" to make sure of his position on the team).

I am a teacher and certified for high school mathematics, physics, and computer science. I also am a graduate student at Oklahoma State University in Mathematics Education (research in cognitive architecture (ACT-R) informing math reform). I did some experimental methods teaching for physics REU students at the University of Colorado - Boulder.

@OP - I would recommend UC - Boulder or Maryland - College Park very strongly for physics education. Both schools have very strong enthusiastic departments. Both are very good for physics as well. I received my B.A. in math and physics from UCB and it was my experience there that directed me toward education. Here are some example dissertations. http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/research/dissertations.htm

I have taught about 30 different courses at the university level in Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics. I also spent a year teaching high school chemistry, computer programming, mathematics, and physics.

I taught high school physics just once, 8th grade physical science just once, and college algebra-based physics 2 just once. Now I have been asked to come back in the fall semester to teach college calculus-based physics 1. So I'm really a novice. In my former career I was an electrical engineer in private industry, and I 'm choosing to take this big pay cut because I enjoy it a lot more.

I've taught chemistry and physics at the local community college and was just shy of getting licensed for teaching high school physics before I got the job I'm at now. I was also (technically) an adjunct faculty member at Ohio State through my previous employer's job training, teaching radiation physics to nuclear pharmacists.

I took 3 "theory of education" courses in my junior year, thinking that a double-major in English Literature and Philosophy might not give me many job opportunities. As it turned out, my freshman engineering courses and some civil engineering background got me into the pulp and paper industry, and when I got sick of that shift-work grind and bailed out, I found myself teaching. Developing, writing, and presenting educational materials to adults is not all that easy. When you have to school a bunch of DuPont's industrial electrical supervisors in electrical safety, for instance, it's a good idea to find ways to keep stuff interesting so that they are still paying attention when you present information about the lethality of low-amperage hand-to-hand shocks, grounding, personal protection, etc.

I have taught at university in math for over 40 years (retired in 2010), and briefly volunteer taught high school and second grade. This summer I was a geometry teacher for the Epsilon Camp, an intervention for exceptionally/profoundly gifted 8-10 year olds. We discussed most of the first 4 books of Euclid in 12 days, at about the level of my university classes on the same topic.

I am a teaching assistant at a university. I teach basic calculus.

1. What is the purpose of active teachers in physics education?

The purpose of active teachers in physics education is to engage students in hands-on, inquiry-based learning experiences that help them develop a deeper understanding of physics concepts. Active teachers use a variety of teaching methods and resources to actively involve students in the learning process and promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How do active teachers benefit students in physics education?

Active teachers benefit students in physics education by creating an interactive and engaging learning environment that promotes a deeper understanding and retention of physics concepts. This approach also helps students develop important skills such as critical thinking, teamwork, and communication, which are essential for success in both academic and real-world settings.

3. What makes a teacher "active" in physics education?

A teacher is considered "active" in physics education when they use a variety of teaching methods and resources to actively engage students in the learning process. This can include hands-on activities, group work, simulations, demonstrations, and real-world applications. Active teachers also encourage students to ask questions, think critically, and explore their own ideas.

4. How can teachers become more active in teaching physics?

Teachers can become more active in teaching physics by attending professional development workshops and conferences, collaborating with fellow teachers, and using resources such as lesson plans and teaching strategies that promote active learning. It is also important for teachers to continuously reflect on their teaching practices and make adjustments based on student feedback and performance.

5. What are some PhD programs available for teachers in physics education?

There are several PhD programs available for teachers in physics education, including the Physics Education Research (PER) program at various universities, the Physics Education PhD program at the University of Maryland, and the Science Education PhD program at Michigan State University. These programs typically combine coursework in physics, education, and research methods to prepare teachers to become leaders in the field of physics education.