Is a Neutrino Based Thruster Possible?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of a neutrion based thruster that uses neutrinos as its energy source. The idea is to create an overall neutral plasma by expelling an equal number of positive and negative ions from the thruster, with the device "connecting" to the neutrinos and propelling them through the thruster. However, the practicality and efficiency of this concept is questioned, as neutrinos are difficult to control and have a long mean free path.
stoneboy
I am working on a neutrion based thruster to be used in atmosphere, somewhat based on the A Cavity-Type negative ion source. Actually it is the next generation using neutrinos as the energy source. I saw your post and thought you might be someone to bounce some of the ideas off.

Our original concept is based on two neutrality conditions. like the -I source that an equal number of + and - ions must be expelled from the thruster and an intimate intermingling of the + and - ion beams to form an overall neutral plasma having little or no interaction with the ion acceleration systems is the second condition.

The device can best be explained as a NBT (neutrion based thruster) that is "connecting" to the neutrinos and propelling then thru the thruster. Our easiest discription is to equate it to a cable car that gets it "power" from touching the live electrical cable. In our case the device while moving is engaging the neutrinos always present and this is where the energy or 'power" is coming from.

Comments?

Stoneboy

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like something straight out of Star Trek.

Judging by your first line, it appears you meant this to be a PM. If not, I'm calling spam.

Don't know what a neutrion is, perhaps you could elaborate? Not even Google is throwing back results for it.

How's the prototype going?

Chi Meson said:
How's the prototype going?

Would I be right in thinking neutrinos don't interact with anything (or at least very little)? If so, it sounds like this dude has mastered them!

JaredJames said:
Would I be right in thinking neutrinos don't interact with anything (or at least very little)? If so, it sounds like this dude has mastered them!

They're chargless, and nearly massless, so interaction with anything requires a direct hit on a nucleus. Furthermore, a "low-energy" neutrino won't do anything detectable even if there is a direct hit. One-thousandth of one percent of all solar neutrinos that hit the Earth are actually stopped by the earth.

And, to top it off, if one has a source of neutrinos, then their source of energy is actually the radioactive substance or nuclear reaction that propels them. Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

Chi Meson said:
Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

:rofl:

Chi Meson said:
And, to top it off, if one has a source of neutrinos, then their source of energy is actually the radioactive substance or nuclear reaction that propels them. Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

To be fair, it's the momentum that matters, and neutrinos carry away a significant fraction of the reaction's momentum. If there was a way to direct the neutrinos in the right direction, we could avoid using precious atoms as the reaction mass. Considering that the mean free path of a neutrino in lead is about 1 light year, I don't think this idea is very practical.

Kinda like setting off a stick of dynamite, and saying "I'll bet I can harness the energy of all that fast-moving smoke!"

Well I'm just 17 so I may be wrong but thing is the air expands massively (and the smoke particles are part of the air) due to the pressure so that wouldn't be very hard. It's like harnessing energy from high-temperature air.

Nikitin said:
Well I'm just 17 so I may be wrong but thing is the air expands massively (and the smoke particles are part of the air) due to the pressure so that wouldn't be very hard. It's like harnessing energy from high-temperature air.

I think you may have missed the point.

oh i just read his entire post. never mind.

1. What is a neutrino based thruster?

A neutrino based thruster is a propulsion system that utilizes the energy and momentum of neutrinos, which are tiny, nearly massless particles that constantly stream through the universe. This technology is still in the early stages of development and has not yet been fully realized, but it has the potential to revolutionize space travel by significantly increasing spacecraft speeds.

2. How does a neutrino based thruster work?

The basic principle behind a neutrino based thruster is the use of neutrinos to create thrust. This is achieved by directing a large number of neutrinos at a specific angle towards a spacecraft, which causes the spacecraft to gain momentum in the opposite direction. This process is similar to how a traditional rocket engine works, but instead of using chemical reactions to produce thrust, a neutrino based thruster uses the energy of neutrinos.

3. What are the advantages of a neutrino based thruster?

One of the main advantages of a neutrino based thruster is that it does not require any fuel to operate. This means that spacecraft equipped with this technology would be able to travel longer distances without the need for refueling, making them more efficient and cost-effective. Additionally, neutrinos are abundant in the universe and can travel through almost any material, making them an ideal energy source for space travel.

4. What are the challenges facing the development of neutrino based thrusters?

One of the biggest challenges facing the development of neutrino based thrusters is the difficulty in detecting and controlling neutrinos. Neutrinos are notoriously difficult to detect and interact very weakly with matter, making it challenging to harness their energy for propulsion. Additionally, scientists are still exploring different methods for controlling and directing neutrino beams in a precise and efficient manner.

5. When can we expect to see a neutrino based thruster in action?

The development of a fully functional neutrino based thruster is still in its early stages and it is difficult to predict when this technology will be available for practical use. However, many researchers and scientists are actively working on advancing this technology, and it is possible that we may see some early applications of neutrino based thrusters in the next decade or so.