Voltage and the usage of the word

• Thread starter chickenpuppet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, connecting a 110 volt appliance into a 220 volt circuit would do more damage than plugging a 220 volt appliance into a 100 volt circuit. This is because the appliance is designed to handle a certain amount of current and power at 110V, but when plugged into a 220V circuit, it will draw double the current and potentially fry its components. On the other hand, a 220 volt appliance plugged into a 100 volt circuit may not even have enough voltage to power up and operate properly. Voltage acts as a "pressure" that creates current flow, and too much pressure can cause damage.
chickenpuppet
here's the question: "which will do more damage, connection a 110 volt appliance into a 220 volt circuit or plugging a 220 volt appliance into a 100 volt circuit?"

as i understand it, voltage is the "pressure" that creates current flow. voltage is caused by the potential difference between poles. voltage does not, however, flow ion a circuit, but is instead the cause of flowing. please correct me if i am wrong...

but before i can answer the question, what does it mean to say that an appliance is 100-V? the appliance isn't creating voltage? or is this the trick in a trick question?

Physics news on Phys.org
but before i can answer the question, what does it mean to say that an appliance is 100-V? the appliance isn't creating voltage? or is this the trick in a trick question?

this means that the appliance has been designed to operate with a 110V source voltage

here's the question: "which will do more damage, connection a 110 volt appliance into a 220 volt circuit or plugging a 220 volt appliance into a 100 volt circuit?"

approximate a simple appliance as a black box resistor (consider a toaster which is just one big resistor). By Ohm's law, our simple appliance will draw a certain amount of current (I = E/R), and dissipate a certain amount of power (P=IR^2).

If our appliance is designed for 110V power, it is designed to handle a certain amount of current and power dissipation. Plug it into a 220V power supply and all of a sudden it's current draw doubles and has to dissipate twice as much power.

All that extra current will either blow our simple appliance's fuse (and hopefully protect the internal bits), or fry all the electrical components.

thanks for the reply, it was an obvious answer. i need to quit looking for trick questions and just answer. the metaphor of thinking of voltage as pressure seems to hold up; too much pressure and it pops. so, if there is not enough voltage, the current will trickle? and by trickling, i assume this means not enough charge to power up the appliance?

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is often described as the "push" or "force" that drives the flow of electric current.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit components. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage is constantly changing in direction and magnitude, while DC (direct current) voltage remains at a constant level. Most household appliances use AC voltage, while batteries provide DC voltage.

4. How does voltage affect the flow of electricity?

Higher voltage levels can push more electric current through a circuit, while lower voltage levels will result in a slower flow of electricity. However, the resistance of the circuit components also plays a role in determining the amount of current flow.

5. How is voltage used in everyday life?

Voltage is used in many everyday devices, such as cell phones, computers, and household appliances. It is also used in power transmission and distribution systems to deliver electricity to homes and businesses.