Is left side of the s-plane stable side?

• Thread starter truva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stable
In summary, the Laplace transform includes exp(-st) and s=σ+jω. σ is negative in the left side and hence exp(-st) goes to infinity. It is not stable.
truva
Laplace transform includes exp(-st) and s=σ+jω. σ is negative in the left side and hence exp(-st) goes to infinity. It is not stable. Where am I wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org
σ is negative.So,exp(-σt) will tend to 0 as t tends to ∞.Also according to the function for which you want to find LT,limits are imposed on s for stabilty.You cannot directly think of the equation without function.

omkar13 said:
σ is negative.So,exp(-σt) will tend to 0 as t tends to ∞.Also according to the function for which you want to find LT,limits are imposed on s for stabilty.You cannot directly think of the equation without function.

If σ is negative -σ is positive. Hence exp(-σt) goes to not to 0 as t tends to ∞. !?

Sorry, I'm also a bit confused in previous reply.Firstly,you shouldnot consider the only integral part without function.
2.σ is not a fixed value.It is a variable which varies according to requirement.
consider LT{tu(t)}.
LT{tu(t)}=∫(-∞ to ∞)t exp(-st)u(t)dt
=∫(0to ∞)t exp(-st)dt
=[texp(-st)/s](0 to ∞)-∫(0 to ∞)1*exp(-st)/s
=1/s^2 IF AND ONLY IF FIRST TERM=0.
now consider first term.
[texp(-st)/s](0 to ∞)=(texp(-s*∞)-0)/s.
HERE WE IMPOSE A CONDITION ON S THAT S IS POSITIVE.HENCE FIRST TERM WILL BE 0 AND WE GET LT AS 1/S^2.IF S IS POSITIVE IT MEANS THAT σ IS ALSO POSITIVE.So what I mean to say is that σ is not a fixed quantity but a variable.If anything above anyone feel irrelevant to topic, please tell me.Thankyou

omkar13 said:
IF S IS POSITIVE IT MEANS THAT σ IS ALSO POSITIVE.

Agree, if σ is positive it is on the right hand side not in the left hand side. This is what I am trying to say.

But most of the DSP books, regarding the IIR filters, say that if σ is in left side the system will be stable and if it is in the right side the system MAY BE unstable. However σ is positive in the right side and the right side is unconditionally stable side. I am really confused.

Whatever you said is correct.But the stability aspect is for a system.I quoted an example to show that σ is a variable and it has limits which is called REGION OF CONVERGENCE and the limits vary according to the function.For the system to be stable all roots of transfer function of respective system must belong to left half of s-plane.Consider the previous example .
LT{tu(t)}=1/s^2.The roots of this eq. are 0,0 which lies on jw axis hence this system,if designed is marginally stable.You may have ROC extending from some negative value to +∞ but the system is stable only when σ lies in left half of s-plane.
or you can understand like this. σ is only used to make equation integrable.After a transfer function is obtained, we should plot the poles of that T.F.Here,what you h've said is to be checked.Am I clear?

I understand now. We look at the value of the VARIABLE s, and see the behavior of the SYSTEM. Thank you very much for your time.

1. What is the s-plane and why is it important in stability analysis?

The s-plane is a mathematical representation of a system's transfer function in the Laplace domain. It is used in control systems engineering to analyze the stability of a system. The s-plane allows us to see the behavior of a system over a range of frequencies and identify any unstable regions.

2. How is the stability of a system determined from the s-plane?

In the s-plane, the left side represents the stable region and the right side represents the unstable region. The stability of a system is determined by the location of its poles (or roots) in the s-plane. If all the poles are located in the left side of the s-plane, the system is stable. If any poles are in the right side, the system is unstable.

3. What causes the left side of the s-plane to be stable?

The left side of the s-plane is stable because it represents the region where the transfer function has a negative real part. This means that the response of the system will decay over time and will not grow without bound. In other words, the input to the system will not be amplified, ensuring stability.

4. Can a system be stable if it has poles on the imaginary axis of the s-plane?

No, a system cannot be stable if it has poles on the imaginary axis of the s-plane. This is because poles on the imaginary axis represent oscillatory behavior, which can lead to instability. Therefore, for a system to be stable, all its poles must be on the left side of the s-plane.

5. How does the location of poles in the s-plane affect the stability of a system?

The location of poles in the s-plane is directly related to the stability of a system. For a system to be stable, all its poles must be in the left side of the s-plane. If any poles are in the right side, the system is unstable. Additionally, the distance of the poles from the imaginary axis also affects the stability of a system, with closer poles indicating a faster response and potentially leading to instability.