Understanding Free Fall: Explained in Simple Terms | K.I.S.I.S."

In summary, Grimstone says that if a free-falling body's acceleration is 93 ft/sec/sec, the object will be doing 279 feet per second after only 3 seconds. Killme22 says that if free-falling body's acceleration is 93 ft/sec/sec, the object will be doing 279 feet per second after only 3 seconds. Both answers are right, but it depends on the assumptions made.
Grimstone
I had this elaborate example all set up to lay my question out. and I can hear my x wife in my head. "you over think everything"

So here is my question.
I do not understand free falls 93feet/sec /second.
this sounds to me that Tim would be doing 279 feet per second after only 3 seconds. ??:confused:

If Tim fell 1 mile. how long till he reached ground?

Please. K.I.S.I.S keep it simple I'm stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
Grimstone said:
So here is my question.
I do not understand free falls 93feet/sec /second.
The acceleration of a free falling body (ignoring air resistance) is about 32 ft/sec/sec.

Here is an online calculator for this stuff, but you have to convert it to SI units, not feet and miles.

http://planetcalc.com/981/

I agree with Doc Al's approximate value.

To Grimstone (a small explanation, hopefully I can help in case you are confused about free fall stuff): The meaning of 32 ft/sec/sec is essentially the acceleration of the object in free-fall. This value is simply due to Earth's gravity.

If free-fall acceleration was 93 ft/sec/sec as you said, then yes the object would be doing 279 feet per second after only 3 seconds. (But this value for the acceleration is roughly three times more than what it actually is for Earth).

Lastly, about Tim falling a mile, and how much time this would take: To work this out, you need to do a bit of calculus, or use the equations for constant acceleration (the suvat equations, was the name used when they were taught to me).

Perhaps Grimstone meant that terminal velocity, the speed at which air resistance equals the force of gravity so we have a constant speed, is 93 feet per second (not "per second per second). At 93 feet per second, it would take 279/93= 3 seconds to fall 279 feet. At that terminal velocity, it would take Tim 5280/93= 56.8 seconds to fall a mile- almost a minute. Of course, Tim isn't really going to be concerned about that!

poor tim. he will always be remembered.

BruceW said:
poor tim. he will always be remembered.

as the man who sacrificed himself to create a slightly more interesting math problem.

my answer is 18.11 secs??

here's my solution
1mi=5280 ft
y=-1/2gt^2
-5280 = -1/2(32.2)t^2

t^2= -5280/(-16.1)

t^2 = 327.95

t=18.11 secs...

looks good to me.

killme22 said:
here's my solution
1mi=5280 ft
y=-1/2gt^2
-5280 = -1/2(32.2)t^2

t^2= -5280/(-16.1)

t^2 = 327.95

t=18.11 secs...

You forget, he is at terminal velocity! It is not an acceleration problem, but one of constant velocity.

Yes, Grimstone's tim is traveling at terminal velocity, and killme22's tim is falling without air resistance. I forgot the earlier posts. Both answers are right really, but it depends on the assumptions made. That's one of the things I like about physics, the assumptions we use can often be explicitly stated. But in philosophy, literature, e.t.c. the assumptions are often vague or not explicitly stated.

That'll be why Philosophers couldn't put a Rover on Mars - but they could discuss the significance all night.

1. What does "Request explanation, Please?" mean?

"Request explanation, Please?" is a polite way of asking someone to explain something to you in more detail. It is often used when you do not fully understand a concept or when you need more information about a topic.

2. When should I use "Request explanation, Please?"

You should use "Request explanation, Please?" whenever you need more information or clarification about a topic. It is especially useful when you are learning something new or when you are confused about a particular concept.

3. How do I politely ask for an explanation?

You can politely ask for an explanation by using phrases like "Could you please explain?", "I'm not sure I understand, could you explain?", or "Would you mind providing more information?" These phrases show that you are interested in learning and that you value the other person's knowledge.

4. What if I still don't understand after requesting an explanation?

If you still don't understand after requesting an explanation, you can ask follow-up questions or ask the person to explain in a different way. It is important to communicate that you are still struggling to understand and to not be afraid to ask for further clarification.

5. Is it okay to request an explanation multiple times?

Yes, it is okay to request an explanation multiple times. Learning and understanding can take time, and it is important to not be afraid to ask for clarification until you fully understand the concept. Just make sure to be respectful and appreciative of the person's time and effort in explaining to you.