Derivation of the momentum-energy relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the relation E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2 using the relations p=\gamma mu and E=\gamma m_0c^2. The conversation also touches on the use of rapidity and hyperbolic trig functions in solving the derivation.
misogynisticfeminist
In deriving the relation [tex] E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2 [/tex], I have used the relations [tex] p=\gamma mu [/tex] and [tex]E=\gamma m_0c^2[/tex]. I am currently stuck until a certain step and would appreciate it if someone could show its derivation, thanks alot...

: )

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay,here goes:

[tex] p^{2}=\gamma^{2}m^{2}v^{2}=\frac{c^{2}m^{2}v^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}} [/tex]

Add what u need,but only after multiplying by [itex]c^{2}[/itex]:

[tex] p^{2}c^{2}+m^{2}c^{4}=m^{2}c^{4}(\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}}+1)=
m^{2}c^{4}\frac{c^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}}=(\gamma m c^{2})^{2}=E^{2} [/tex]

,where i made use of Einstein's formula...

Daniel.

[tex] p

Likes jamalkoiyess
Just to encourage more use of the rapidity [tex]\theta[/tex] (and one's trigonometric intuition):

[tex]u=c\tanh\theta[/tex] and [tex]\gamma=\cosh\theta[/tex] (So, [tex]\gamma u=c\sinh\theta[/tex])

So, start with [tex]p=m_0c\sinh\theta[/tex] and [tex]E=m_0c^2\cosh\theta[/tex].

Since [tex]
\begin{align*}
\cosh^2\theta - \sinh^2\theta&\equiv1\\
\left(\frac{E}{m_0 c^2}\right)^2 - \left( \frac{p}{m_0c}\right)^2&=1\\
E^2 - (pc)^2&=(m_0c^2)^2\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Though not taught in HS,your method is elegant.:smile:Mine is simply lacking in inspiration.:yuck:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Though not taught in HS

IMHO, there is no reason why hyperbolic trig functions should not be taught in HS trig (in 1950 we got them in "College Math" which I took Junior year in HS). Nor is there that rapidity should not be taught in intro to relativity for math-enabled students.

I didn't mean hyperbolic trig functions,but special relativity & SLT using them...Maybe they're taught somewhere,but i would find that level (of teaching physics) too high...:wink:

Daniel.

hey, thanks for the help ! and i'll definitely check out that trig derivation once I've started on hyperbolic functions though...

: )

Umm, not to bother you guys but, how does
[tex] p^{2}=\gamma^{2}m^{2}v^{2}=\frac{c^{2}m^{2}v^{2}}{ c^{2}-v^{2}} [/tex]?
What I get is:

[tex](\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}})^2=\frac{1}{1-v^2/c^2} *m^2v^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{m^2v^2}{1-v^2/c^2}[/tex]

Now I'm stuck...

multiply by [tex]\frac{c^2}{c^2}[/tex]

oo, you now I got it, thanks. Is that what Dexter meant when he said:
"Add what u need,but only after multiplying by [itex]c^2[/itex]:"?

1. What is the momentum-energy relation?

The momentum-energy relation, also known as the mass-energy equivalence, is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between an object's momentum and its energy. It is expressed by the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. How was the momentum-energy relation derived?

The momentum-energy relation was derived by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity. He proposed that energy and mass are interchangeable and that the speed of light is a fundamental constant that relates the two. Through mathematical calculations and thought experiments, he arrived at the equation E=mc².

3. What is the significance of the momentum-energy relation?

The momentum-energy relation has significant implications in the field of physics. It explains the relationship between matter and energy, and how mass can be converted into energy and vice versa. This concept has also been used to develop technologies such as nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

4. Is the momentum-energy relation accurate?

Yes, the momentum-energy relation has been extensively tested and has been shown to be extremely accurate in predicting the behavior of particles at high speeds. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments, including the famous E=mc² experiment where particles were accelerated to near the speed of light.

5. How does the momentum-energy relation affect our daily lives?

While the momentum-energy relation may seem like a complex concept, it actually has practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it helps us understand the behavior of particles in nuclear reactions and how energy is produced in power plants. It also plays a role in medical imaging technology, such as PET scans, which use the principle of mass-energy equivalence to create images of the body's internal structure.