Metal and non-metal oxides and water reaction?

In summary, The conversation discusses the understanding of how non-metallic oxide dissolves in water to form acid, specifically the reaction of sulfur trioxide in water. The equations for the reaction are given, but there is uncertainty about their correctness. It is also questioned why only one oxygen atom in sulfur trioxide attaches to a hydrogen atom when it dissolves in water. It is noted that H2SO4 is most stable and that not all non-metallic oxides have to be polar molecules in order to form an acid in water.
ASidd

Homework Statement

I understand how metallic oxide dissolve in water to produce OH- ion due to high electronegativity of oxygen. But I am having trouble understanding how non-metallic oxide dissolve in water to form acid?
For Homework I have to explain the reaction of Sulfur trioxide in water and how that produces H+ and sulfate ions.But I have no idea how to go on about this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

SO3 + H2O=> H2SO4
and H2SO4=> H+ +HSO4-
HSO4-=>H+ +SO4-

I have no idea if these are correct or not? Also what makes the H2SO4 in the first reaction disassociate to ions?

Physics news on Phys.org
First and second equations are OK, the last one is not (charge is not balanced).

So h+ so4-==> h+ + so4-2?

I was also wondering when sulfur trioxide dissolves in water why does only one of the oxygen atoms in sulfur trioxide attaches to a hydrogen atom? why not the other 2

ASidd said:
So h+ so4-==> h+ + so4-2?

Can't say it is much better. Please pay attention to how you format these things - some letters have to be capitalized, some characters should be made subscripts/supperscripts and so on.

If you don't know how - [noparse]H3O+[/noparse] is displayed as H3O+.

H2SO4 is most stable for energetic reasons. Both HSO4- and H3SO4+ exist, although the latter is observed only in pure sulfuric acid, never in water solutions.

Okay thanks. Also do all non-metallic oxides have to be polar molecules in order to form an acid within water?

I wouldn't call CO2 polar.

1. What is the general reaction between metal/non-metal oxides and water?

The general reaction between metal/non-metal oxides and water is an acid-base reaction. Metal oxides react with water to form metal hydroxides and non-metal oxides react with water to form acids.

2. How does the reaction with water differ between metal oxides and non-metal oxides?

The reaction with water differs between metal oxides and non-metal oxides in terms of the products formed. Metal oxides react with water to form metal hydroxides, while non-metal oxides react with water to form acids.

3. Are all metal/non-metal oxides soluble in water?

No, not all metal/non-metal oxides are soluble in water. Some metal oxides, such as aluminum oxide, are insoluble in water while others, such as sodium oxide, are highly soluble. Similarly, some non-metal oxides, such as carbon dioxide, are highly soluble in water while others, such as sulfur dioxide, have limited solubility.

4. How does the reactivity of metal/non-metal oxides with water vary?

The reactivity of metal/non-metal oxides with water varies depending on the element they are composed of. Generally, the reactivity increases as you move down the periodic table for metals and up the periodic table for non-metals. This is because the elements become more electropositive and electronegative, respectively, making them more likely to react with water.

5. What is the main purpose of metal/non-metal oxides in industrial processes?

The main purpose of metal/non-metal oxides in industrial processes is as catalysts. Metal oxides, such as iron oxide, are commonly used as catalysts in the production of ammonia, while non-metal oxides, such as silicon dioxide, are used in the production of plastics and other synthetic materials. They can also be used as absorbents, desiccants, and in other chemical reactions.