Solve function for Supernode Circuit Analysis

In summary, the speaker is using a TI-89 Titanium ROM Version 3.10 and is having trouble using the solve() function for Nodal Analysis with a Supernode, which requires more equations than variables. They have provided an example with three equations (stored as n1, n2, and n3) but only two variables (v1 and v2). When they try to use the solve() function with all three equations, it returns false. The speaker is looking for a solution to this problem.
vtee2014
I am using a TI-89 Titanium ROM Version 3.10

I can use solve() readily for N equations and N unknowns, however:

I am trying to use the solve() function for Nodal Analysis with a Supernode

As you may recall, this means more equations than variables:

For example: (this is slightly modified from the real problem)

1] v1/2 + (v1-v2)/3 - 9 = 0 --> I am storing this STO > n1

2] v2/6 + (v2-v1)/3 - 7 = 0 --> I am storing this STO > n2

supernode

s] v2 + 5 = v1

or v1 - v2 - 5 = 0 --> I am storing this STO > n3

The supernode adds one more equation but there are only two variables

so:

solve(n1 and n2 and n3, {v1, v2})

returns -> false

This may be a trivial fix or more complicated, but I cannot see a workaround

How do I use solve() when there are N unknowns and > N equations ??

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is a supernode in circuit analysis?

A supernode is a combination of two or more nodes in a circuit that share a common voltage source. This allows for simplification of the circuit analysis process by treating the supernode as a single node.

2. How do I identify and label a supernode in a circuit?

To identify a supernode, look for two or more nodes that are connected by a voltage source. Label the supernode with a single node number and a reference to the voltage source. For example, a supernode connected by a voltage source between nodes 1 and 2 would be labeled as node 1-2.

3. What is the purpose of solving for supernodes in circuit analysis?

Solving for supernodes allows for simplification of complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. It also helps in finding the voltage and current values for individual components.

4. How do I write the equations for solving a supernode in a circuit?

The equations for solving a supernode involve applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. Write an equation for the sum of currents entering and leaving the supernode, and use Ohm's Law to relate the current to the voltage and resistance of each component in the supernode.

5. Can a supernode be present in any type of circuit?

Yes, a supernode can be present in any type of circuit as long as there is a voltage source connecting two or more nodes. It is a common technique used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits and solve for unknown values.