TI-84 Plus Calculator Cannot Perform Log Function (Err:Argument)

In summary, the user's TI-84 Plus calculator does not have the required software to run a log function and is met with the "Argument" error. They find an online resource that explains how to program a calculator to do the log function to any base, and are grateful for the responses.
teetar
Hello I have a TI-84 Plus calculator and during my math class we were doing log functions on the calculator and I was met with the err "Argument". I don't know what this means, but from what I've heard my calculator is missing the required software to run a log. I should clarify that when I say log I mean a problem that would be put into a calculator as "log(2, 4)" and it will come up with "ERR:ARGUMENT" rather than the answer of 2. Does anyone know how, or where I can go to get my calculator to work with the log function? I have a cable to connect it to my laptop if there is some program I must install on it.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most calculator log functions take one argument, since 'log' is shorthand for Base-10 logarithms. What you are trying to do is find the logarithm of a number to a different base, I think. Check your calculator manual to see if the function you are trying to use is included in the calculator's capability. If it isn't, you may have to program the calculator.

Like most calculators it has a "log" button for logs to base 10, and a "ln" button for logs to base e (natural logs).

It is easy to calculate logs to any other base: ##\log_b x = \log x / \log b = \ln x / \ln b##.
(You will probably learn formulas like that soon in your math class).

Borek said:

Press [ALPHA] [WINDOW] [5] to access the FUNC menu and insert the logbase( function.
That sort of thing gives people the wrong idea that you need to be a genius to do math or computer programming :biggrin:

The TI-83 method makes sense, though.

Sadly, people thinking log is a button on calculator, and not a function with well known properties, are in majority.

AlephZero said:
##\log_b x = \log x / \log b = \ln x / \ln b##
Thank you all very much for your responses, this formula is going to indeed come in handy. I guess the confusion I had was why certain calculators that were the same type as mine were capable of performing logs to a base other then 10 by inputting "Log(2, 4)" however it isn't too much of an issue now anyway, I'm just a curious person and I like to understand things like that :P

Anyways, thank you all for your responses and help!

1. Why is my TI-84 Plus calculator showing an "Err:Argument" when I try to use the log function?

This error message appears when the argument you are trying to input into the log function is not a valid value. This could be because the argument is negative or zero, or it is too large or small for the calculator to handle.

2. How can I fix the "Err:Argument" on my TI-84 Plus calculator?

To fix this error, you will need to check the argument you are using in the log function. Make sure it is a valid value and within the range that the calculator can handle. If it is a large or small value, try using scientific notation or rounding it to a more manageable number.

3. Can I use the log function on negative numbers on my TI-84 Plus calculator?

No, the log function on the TI-84 Plus calculator only works for positive numbers. Trying to take the log of a negative number will result in the "Err:Argument" error.

4. Why does the log function on my TI-84 Plus calculator give me a different answer than other calculators?

The log function on the TI-84 Plus calculator uses a base 10 logarithm, while some other calculators use a base e logarithm. This can result in different answers for the same input. To get the same answer as other calculators, you can use the ln function instead, which is the natural logarithm with a base e.

5. Is there a way to prevent the "Err:Argument" error on my TI-84 Plus calculator?

To avoid this error, make sure you are inputting valid values into the log function. Also, be aware of the range of values that the calculator can handle. If you are unsure, you can check the calculator's manual for the specific range of the log function.