Solving a Car Intersection Dilemma

• Thread starter MrKoffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the problem at hand is determining whether a car traveling at 20 m/s can clear an intersection when the traffic light turns yellow. The driver has the option to either hit the brakes with an acceleration of -3.8 m/s^2 or accelerate at 2.3 m/s^2. The light will remain yellow for 3 seconds and the intersection is 20 meters in width. After using the formula 1/2(a)t^2+V0t+S0, it is determined that the car will not be able to clear the intersection if the driver accelerates, as the tail end of the car will be at 66.85 meters when the light turns red. However, the problem in the textbook stated
MrKoffee
I believe at this point I am just confusing myself.

A car is approaching an intersection at a velocity of 20 m/s. When the car is 50 meters from the intersection the light turns yellow. The light will remain yellow for 3 seconds. The intersection is 20 meters in width. The driver can either hit the brakes for an acceleration of -3.8 m/s^2 or hit the gas to accelerate at 2.3 m/s^2. The car is 3.5m in length. (ignore driver reaction time). If the driver accelerates will he be able to clear the intersection, or should he brake. If he brakes can he come to a stop without entering the intersection.

So.

V0 is 20m/s
S0 is 0m
a is -3.8 or 2.3 m/s^2
t is 3 seconds.

I believe I should do the following

1/2(a)t^2+V0t+S0

giving

1/2(-3.8)(3^2)+20(3) = 42.9 meters to stop
or
1/2(2.3)(3^2)+20(3) = 70.35 meters when hitting the gas.

70.35m (distance driven) - 3.5 (length of the car) means that the tail end of the car is at 66.85m and did not clear the intersection.

have I reached the correct answer in the correct fashion or have I missed something?

Thanks for the help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it important the car clears the intersection before the traffic light goes red? It's fine to drive through a yellow traffic light which the car easily makes by accelerating. Although a speed of 20+2.3(3) m/s = 96.8 km/h is considered speeding.

Anyhoo, everything looks ok.

I personally don't care if the last 2 meters of the car is in the intersection when the light turns red, however, the problem in the textbook stated that it had to clear the intersection before it turned red.

Thanks for the review of the problem, I looked at it for while and started confusing myself with all the formulas...

:smile:

What is a "Car Intersection Dilemma"?

A car intersection dilemma refers to the situation where two or more vehicles approach an intersection at the same time and have to make a decision about who has the right of way.

Why is it important to solve a car intersection dilemma?

Solving a car intersection dilemma is important to prevent accidents and promote safe and efficient traffic flow. It also helps to reduce traffic congestion and improve overall transportation efficiency.

What factors should be considered when solving a car intersection dilemma?

When solving a car intersection dilemma, factors such as traffic laws, traffic signals, road conditions, and the behavior of other drivers should be taken into account. Other considerations may include the type of intersection, the speed of the vehicles, and the visibility at the intersection.

What are some techniques for solving a car intersection dilemma?

There are several techniques for solving a car intersection dilemma, including the right-of-way rule, the first-come first-served rule, and the use of traffic signals or signs. In some cases, communication between drivers through hand signals or eye contact can also help to resolve the dilemma.

How can technology be used to assist in solving a car intersection dilemma?

Technology can be used to assist in solving a car intersection dilemma by implementing intelligent transportation systems, such as automated traffic signals or sensors that can detect the presence of vehicles and adjust the signal timing accordingly. Additionally, the use of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) in vehicles can help to improve decision-making and reduce the risk of accidents at intersections.