Help in integration i=1/L∫Vdt || V=(6t+26)/(t^2+10t+21)

• Thread starter cunhasb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about finding the formula for current as a function of time t in a 5-henry inductor. The formula involves integrating the induced emf, and the final expression is i(t)=1/5[(2t+6)/(t+3)^2+(4t+28)/(t+7)^4]. However, an initial condition is needed in order to solve for an integration constant. This question would be more appropriate in an electrical engineering or homework section.
cunhasb
I hope anyone could give me a hand on this one...

The induced emf in a 5-henry inductor varies as V=(6t+26)/(t^2+10t+21). Recalling that current i=1/L∫Vdt, find the formula for the current i as a function of time t.

This is what I've gotten so far...

∫(6t+26)/(t^2+10t+21)=(6t+26)/(t+3)(t+7)=A/(t+3)+B(t+7)=2/(t+3)+4/(t+7) dt

i=1/5∫2/(t+3)+4/(t+7)dt
i=1/5(ln(t+3)^2+ln(t+7)^4+k...

Well should I stop here since I've gotten only the variable t on the right side of the formula or should differentiate it since they are asking for the formula of currentas a function of time t? If so... is this correct?

di/dt=1/5{[(2t+6)/(t+3)^2]+[(4t+28)/(t+7)^4)]}

Thank you again guys...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, I saw this one then lost it, and forgot. :blushing:

The expression for i(t) seems correct. But one would need and initial condition to solve for an integration constant, or if the limits of integration are t=0 (or to and t=t, one would hopefully have io, which could be zero if the circuit is open, or there is some constant (DC) current.

This question would be appropriate in electrical engineering or homework sections.

Hi there,

Your work so far is correct. Since the question is asking for the formula for current as a function of time, you can differentiate the integral expression you have found. This will give you the formula for current as a function of time.

So, continuing from where you left off:

di/dt = 1/5{[(2t+6)/(t+3)^2]+[(4t+28)/(t+7)^4)]}

= 1/5{[2(t+3)/(t+3)^2]+[4(t+7)/(t+7)^4]}

= 1/5{2/(t+3)+4/(t+7)^3}

= 2/(5(t+3))+4/(5(t+7)^3)

= 2/(5t+15)+4/(5t+175)

= (2+4t)/(5(t+3)(t+7)^3)

So, the final formula for current as a function of time is:

i(t) = (2+4t)/(5(t+3)(t+7)^3)

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the meaning of integration in this context?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. In this context, it refers to finding the total displacement of a particle, represented by V, over a certain time interval, represented by t.

2. How do you solve for the integral in this equation?

To solve for the integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. First, rewrite the expression as i = 1/(L∫Vdt) to simplify the notation. Then, use the appropriate integration technique to find the antiderivative of V. Finally, plug in the limits of integration and evaluate the integral.

3. What is the significance of the limits of integration?

The limits of integration represent the starting and ending points of the time interval over which the displacement is being calculated. These limits determine the range of values for t that will be used in the integration process. In this case, t=0 represents the initial time and t=L represents the final time.

4. How do you determine the value of L in this equation?

The value of L is typically given in the context of a problem or experiment. It could represent the total time elapsed or the length of a particular time interval. If it is not specified, you can use a value that makes sense in the given situation.

5. Can this equation be solved without using integration techniques?

No, this equation cannot be solved without using integration techniques. The integral is an essential part of the equation and must be evaluated using integration methods to find the displacement of the particle. Simply plugging in values for t will not give an accurate result.