Bragg law cell constant d

In summary, the Bragg law is a fundamental principle in X-ray crystallography that relates the angle of incidence of X-rays on a crystal lattice to its resulting diffraction pattern. The cell constant, denoted by <em>a</em>, is a value used in the Bragg law to convert the measured diffraction angle (θ) into the physical distance between crystal planes (d). The cell constant and d-spacing have an inverse relationship, with a smaller cell constant resulting in a larger distance between crystal planes. It can be determined experimentally by measuring the diffraction angles of known reference materials. Factors such as sample quality, instrumental error, and human error can affect the accuracy of the cell constant in Bragg's law.
Chemist@
How is the cell constant "d" related to the cell parameters? I know that for the smallest possible diffraction angle d is equal to the longest cell edge. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemist@ said:
How is the cell constant "d" related to the cell parameters? I know that for the smallest possible diffraction angle d is equal to the longest cell edge. Why?

For the relationships, see See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bragg's_law

Your second statement seems like a special case to me; I've never used it in my work. Do you have a reference for it?

1. What is the Bragg law?

The Bragg law is a fundamental principle in X-ray crystallography that explains the relationship between the angle of incidence of X-rays on a crystal lattice and the resulting diffraction pattern. It can be represented by the equation nλ = 2dsinθ, where n is an integer representing the diffraction order, λ is the wavelength of the X-rays, d is the distance between crystal planes, and θ is the angle of incidence.

2. What is the cell constant in Bragg's law?

The cell constant, denoted by a, is a value used in the Bragg law to convert the measured diffraction angle (θ) into the physical distance between crystal planes (d). It is calculated by dividing the length of the unit cell by the number of crystal lattice points along that unit cell dimension.

3. What is the relationship between cell constant and d-spacing?

The cell constant and d-spacing are inversely proportional to each other. As the cell constant increases, the d-spacing decreases, and vice versa. This means that a smaller cell constant results in a larger distance between crystal planes, and a larger cell constant results in a smaller distance between crystal planes.

4. How is the cell constant determined experimentally?

The cell constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the diffraction angles of several known reference materials with known d-spacings. By plotting the diffraction angles against the d-spacings, a calibration curve can be created, which can then be used to calculate the cell constant for unknown materials based on their measured diffraction angles.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the cell constant in Bragg's law?

The accuracy of the cell constant can be affected by factors such as the quality of the crystal sample, instrumental error, and human error in measurement. It is important to use high-quality, well-oriented crystals and to carefully calibrate the instrument to minimize errors in the measurement of diffraction angles.