G.P. = [itex] \sum_{n=1}^k a_{1}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})^{n-1} [/itex]

• Thread starter Lebombo
  • Start date
In summary, a geometric series is a series where each term is multiplied by a constant ratio, r. The general term for a geometric sequence is arn-1, and the summand of the sigma notation can be expressed as S_n = ∑ar^k where k ranges from 0 to n-1. Subscripts are not necessary in a geometric series.
Lebombo
A geometric series is [itex]S_{n}= a_{1} + a_{2} + a_{3} + ...+ a_{n} = a_{1}r^{0} + a_{2}r^{1} + a_{3}r^{2} + ...+ a_{n}r^{n-1}[/itex]

In a geometric series, the first term = [itex]a_{1}[/itex]

The common ratio = [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/itex]

The nth term of a geometric sequence is [itex]a_{n}= a_{1}r^{n-1}= a_{1}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})^{n-1}[/itex]

The question is:

In the summand of the sigma notation, can the general term of geometric sequence formula be expressed this way:

[tex]S_{n}= \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}r^{i-1} = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}(\frac{a_{i+1}}{a_{i}})^{i-1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It can, but why would you want to? It loses the information that the ratio is a constant.

Lebombo said:
A geometric series is [itex]S_{n}= a_{1} + a_{2} + a_{3} + ...+ a_{n} = a_{1}r^{0} + a_{2}r^{1} + a_{3}r^{2} + ...+ a_{n}r^{n-1}[/itex]
The two expressions you show aren't equal unless r = 1.

You should write your (finite) geometric series like so:
##S_{n}= ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} + ...+ ar^{n-1} ##
Lebombo said:
In a geometric series, the first term = [itex]a_{1}[/itex]
There is no need for subscripts in a geometric series. The first term is a, the next is ar, the one after that is ar2, and so on.
Lebombo said:
The common ratio = [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/itex]
The common ratio is r. Each term in the series is r times the previous term.
Lebombo said:
The nth term of a geometric sequence is [itex]a_{n}= a_{1}r^{n-1}= a_{1}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})^{n-1}[/itex]
The n-th term is arn-1.
Lebombo said:
The question is:

In the summand of the sigma notation, can the general term of geometric sequence formula be expressed this way:

[tex]S_{n}= \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}r^{i-1} = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}(\frac{a_{i+1}}{a_{i}})^{i-1}[/tex]
It's much simpler like this:
$$S_n = \sum_{k = 0}^{n-1} ar^k$$

Last edited:

What is the meaning of G.P. in the equation?

G.P. stands for geometric progression, which is a sequence of numbers where each term is multiplied by a constant factor to get the next term. In this equation, the terms of the geometric progression are represented by the coefficients an.

What is the significance of the upper limit k in the summation?

The upper limit k represents the number of terms in the geometric progression being added together. As k increases, more terms are added and the sum approaches a finite value.

Why is the exponent n-1 used in the equation?

The exponent n-1 corresponds to the position of each term in the geometric progression. As the position increases, the exponent also increases, representing the increasing power of the constant factor used to generate the sequence.

What is the purpose of the fraction an+1/an in the equation?

The fraction an+1/an represents the common ratio between consecutive terms in the geometric progression. It is used to calculate the constant factor needed to generate the sequence.

How can this equation be applied in real-world scenarios?

This equation can be used to calculate the sum of a geometric series in situations where a value is repeatedly multiplied by a constant factor. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by a car that increases its speed by a certain percentage each hour, or the total population of bacteria that doubles every hour.